How'd it go today?

I went out to an old client today, to look at a small spruce that a storm had knocked sideways.
I've done trees for him for at least 20 years, my old mentor passed him on to me when he got too old to climb.

This guy is retired and has a wife with multiple sclerosis.
He spends most of his time taking care of her.
The county would do it for him, that is why we pay taxes, but he does it himself.

I totally surprised myself by telling him that I'd do it for free, since I've had so much work and referrals from him over the years.

But folks just doing their jobs as directed, like Sean described...that should be fully protected by the employer, in this case the US government. And for the most part, it is still that way. I may have overemphasized the rare situation in my earlier post.

An important part of Covering Your Ass is staying within the lines. That's if you have a f-up and make an insurance claim, so as not to get accused of 'Negligence', and asking for protection from an employer. I have seen several F-ups in a previous career. Could have meant jail time for the employees. Strange situation in a much stranger job...wilderness therapy with adjudicated youth.

I did some research, and came up with the trail name and some mountain biking footage from YouTube...don't remember if I posted it. Corral Trail in South Lake Tahoe, California (possibly Nevada). Still in action, 15 years later.

I went out to an old client today, to look at a small spruce that a storm had knocked sideways.
I've done trees for him for at least 20 years, my old mentor passed him on to me when he got too old to climb.

This guy is retired and has a wife with multiple sclerosis.
He spends most of his time taking care of her.
The county would do it for him, that is why we pay taxes, but he does it himself.

I totally surprised myself by telling him that I'd do it for free, since I've had so much work and referrals from him over the years.

Mighty fine gesture Stig. Always nice to throw a bone to your good customers.

Bless you, Stig. What goes around cosmically.... Comes around hopefully!

Stephen... Thank god for Gravity... It would suck to push wood down out of the tree.

The rain on my skylight and roof is soooo motivation to go climb trees. I can barely contain myself.

Deodora cedar, millable logs. "Ogre" accessible..."Ogre" approved. A dream to have it running fast again, after some valves and o- rings.

Stephen... Thank god for Gravity... It would suck to push wood down out of the tree.
Gravity rocks! As does the HOBBS. Gin pole, tension line enough to float the log off the cut with a tip tie, lower it down. Wash rinse repeat.
Took a small beating on negative blocking the gin pole down to fit in the LZ. The tree had a bit of a curve to it, like riding a spring.

Took the day off myself. Have a cable and prune next to some primaries tomorrow, I'll be rested
But, rain days, I spend money and work on other things like the John Deere (400.00) and the dish washer (300.00) etc.

For sure.

I guess it regional, it rains a lot where Sean is, so he simply has to go out and earn, otherwise he’d be skint.

Here it rains less (though enough to ensure decent growth) so I can pick and choose.

Heat wise I can endure what we get here for a few weeks max, when I read what some of you guys go through month after month I don’t think I could cope with that either.

It’s what you’re used to I guess.

I do think I could cope with the cold though, that I don’t mind so much.

Why .CA, weather wise is prime to work in. Political, regulation and tax climate, not so much.
As Rob puts it. If the climate is perfect or close to it year round, you can't afford to live there.

I think we are close to 200 % of yearly snow pack. It is melting when it warms. So much so that the waterfalls are spectacular. Just pay attention to river flow and flash flood warnings.

Good new, right?

Mixed.
Great news for the end of a drought. Plenty of water. Reservoirs only hold run off. San Francisco, Los Angeles and the like now have one year of water in storage now.
Tree mortality, so so. More water helps, but still need cold snaps we still have not got.
Fire zones now have mud slides.
Fire season should be a doozy. Lots of fuel growing.

Good on you Stig, I'm sure it was very appreciated. As far as working in the rain, not needed here, you just tear everything up working when it's wet. I've worked occasionally as a fitter in the rain, but usually hell no. Welding you need a canopy to protect the weld, and I've done that too. But usually if i feel sprinkles I'm done for a bit. Here the cold is just as bad as the heat, hopefully someday I'll be rich enough to only work in the spring and fall :lol: Seriously tho, i try to take winter off if I'm not working inside. I do find tree work enjoyable in winter tho...

Been my experience that your costs go up in the wet. So if you bid the job and it takes longer and costs more money, you lose some. Sometimes I will make more money staying home. And of course, stand by for storm trees you can bank.

Back