How'd it go today?

I don't understand, so please school me on what I'm looking at there.
Sure looks like a fat limit on how much hinge you'll allow yourself on that side. Does that side have all the lean/ weight and you know your hinge will get skinny anyways?

When it works, three straps of tension wood act as three semi-flexible hinges. These were too thin, maybe.

A little less deep in the face, thicker straps. Was going to cut a whizzy, too, but didn't.

16" on the butt.

There was a triple-hinge discussion going semi recently.

So you don't cut through them? They're part of the hinge.
Work better for brittle stuff that doesn't hinge much? Thinking sumac.

Yes, back cut runs up to establish 3rd hinge, first two hinges established by bore-cuts, above and below horizontal plane of the face-cut.

Logger Wade on YouTube may have one for the triple-hinge.

Lol I'll just put this here to show my feelings on working in the rain... even though i worked in the rain all day Monday...

FullSizeR1567.jpg

Was your tree a side-leaner, Sean -- or just wanting a slowed drop? Maybe we could find a better video to recommend that describes the procedure, since Logger Wade's video is high up on the annoying scale. This one has twice the views as Logger Wade's original, but it's obviously not as confident & practiced -- but the results were on the mark:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bV91wlEE1U8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for finding a video.

Madrones only grow as leaners, practically.
It was hanging over a live madrone. Layout was 55* to the lean.

I had to go from back-cut to pushing, so I didn't see the hinge action.
It's at ground level for pushing leverage, and maybe some root flare to help hold it.

It made it about 45* off of the lean.

That's all we run in our ground saws, now that we're spinning our own chains. With it, I couldn't bog down the 395XP cutting down the mulberry or doing the stump cut on some BIG wood.

I don't understand, so please school me on what I'm looking at there.
Sure looks like a fat limit on how much hinge you'll allow yourself on that side. Does that side have all the lean/ weight and you know your hinge will get skinny anyways?

I posted these somewhere else, but I can't find where.

Big 40 meter ash with lots of side lean over one of the oldest sweet chestnuts in the country.
Used the triple hinge to make it follow the face instead of veering of towards the side with all the weight.

There is no way you can make a hinge that beefy, since it cannot flex at all and will simply break instead.

The vertical cuts allow the parts of the hinge to flex, causing it to bend instead of breaking.
I also put a lil' whizzy in, just to aid flexibility.

As you can see, it worked at treat, here.

I was, truth be told, pretty damned proud of pulling that one off.

P1060350.JPG P1060351.JPG P1060352.JPG P1060353.JPG

Nice work!

Did a big test run on 088 after rebuilding the carb. Worked good.
And since it was a good situation, tested the winch. Worked great. 9ft by 28" wide and 6" thick sugar maple, I calculate 450-500 lbs. ( am I close??)

20181107_095041.jpg

That's a really cool technique, thanks for the pics and video and explanation.

The worm gear winch is coming along nicely, Peter! I suspect you may be on to something awesome. Did it lift that stuff up like it wasn't even there or did you need a little muscle on the handle?

Big 40 meter ash with lots of side lean over one of the oldest sweet chestnuts in the country.
Used the triple hinge to make it follow the face instead of veering of towards the side with all the weight.

Where do you finish the cut? It looks in the pic like you are finishing under the lean??

Cleaned up leaves at my Sisters' & carted them back to a low spot today.

Wet & windy, took me about 4-5 hours moving them out back with a trash barrel. I'd like to have waited for them to dry out a bit, but we're supposed to get a couple inches of snow later this week so I go what was down. the S. Maples have pretty much finished dropping. Glad the barrel had wheels...:)

Hoping it dries out sometime this month...Mulberries on my place haven't dropped yet...

Pieced out a some dead madrone, rigging natural crotch off itself. Climbing line in adjacent fir. Woulda rigged off fir, if too dicey. Self lowering, crash landing seeing into the drop zone.
Low peak force, no rope burn.

Finished the pin oak pruning we started yesterday in the rain. Then on to a large red oak with a 36" DBH trunk, lots of big wood. Climbed & crashed down big leaders, chipped the brush, saved the wood on the grapple truck. Done around 3:30 for the day, but still had to fuel up and stop by the trailer place for the 2 piece lugs for our new chipper tire. Home by 5 for a date night out.

Where do you finish the cut? It looks in the pic like you are finishing under the lean??

I never finish a cut under the lean.
Good way to lose a saw if the hinge doesn't hold.
That one had front lean as well, so I put a little backstrap in to hold it while I fiddled around, then tripped it once I had everything as I wanted it.

One of the best features I'm enjoying about my newest bucket truck is the extended reach. The lower boom goes over to 124 degrees as opposed to 100 degrees on my last truck. Almost 49' of side reach. Today I removed 5 trees from around a house, two of which were in the back yard. I was able to reach all 5 trees from in front of the house. And that includes craning out the wood!

Back