How'd it go today?

We have an estimated 3,5 million feral cats in this country.
That is half as many as we are people.

On the other hand, there are 8 times as many pigs:|:

Around six million feral cats here, so you have sure have got some. 23 million feral pigs, close to the amount of people.

No racoons, but quite a few other introduced things we could do without.

Its raining here, seriously raining. Thought I'd prune 3 fruit trees in a backyard since there is supposed to also be a bit of wind and rain. Pissing down rain, I'd call it. Dry in my 'office' chair.

Up and down up and down I miss when winter came it was cold for months straight not hot/cold hot/cold. I find myself packing my winter cloths, fall cloths, and wet weather gear in the truck daily. You just never know.

And skill, lots of skill! It's not like they just got into port and went to the store to gather provisions they had to hunt, farm, and preserve crazy amount of skill. All but forgotten today.

Those are both great reads...the first had this "consequential line"...
In September he put in to Kamchatka to replenish his supplies. From there he dispatched an officer, Lesseps, overland to Paris with accounts of his discoveries,

For someone to go from Katchatka to Paris???? Hard to imagine that was even possible back then. The distance is 8146 km (5061 miles).

That must have been a helluva story, too. Edit...it WAS. I just found this. Lesseps actually did make the journey...he ended up being the only survivor of the original mission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barthélemy_de_Lesseps

Back