O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I'm a sucker for an ebay bargain.
Picked up a set of Buckingham titanium, CCA pole gaffs, twisted shank with the steel insert Velcro wrap pads. I had to buy them each individually from the seller lol 25$ each.

CCA gaffs are funny looking, got grooves machined into them or something like that. I'll probably replace them with tree gaffs, but I'll try them first. Never used pole gaffs before.
View attachment 91649

Short looking. How long? I like pole spurs more than tree spurs. It brings my foot closer to the trunk which I like.

I'm waiting for a pair of Clogger zero gen 2's to arrive...supposed to be the bee's knees for hot weather

They're around 1.25 inches. I will definitely hang on to them and try them out on Norway maple or something like that.

Are chainsaw pants required by law there, Bermy?

Yes Jonny, in Australia chainsaw leg protection, steel toe boots, hard hat ear and eye protection....mandatory.
Bermuda...optional but I wear them regardless.
Apparently squirrel is one of my nicknames...I quite like the 'tree elf' myself:D8)

Went up to the hall today to use the crane and heated shop... finally got the welding skid painted and everything back in there. I ordered a new radiator for it, but hadn't gotten the shipping info yet, just checked my email and i guess it will be here tomorrow. And i just put it back in damnit, oh well. Easy enough to pull i guess. So I'll be headed back up there later this week to do that. I need to build me a crane so i can pull it whenever i want.

20190109_135030.jpg

20190109_153909.jpg

I have a toolbox that goes in there as well, tsc piece of crap. Low profile, extra deep, but the latches have already given up the ghost. So i bought latches to put on it. If i wasn't building a bed once i have time and money saved for it i would build my own box, but for now this works. The bottles go behind the toolbox, so having it light enough to slide towards the tailgate helps there, and the same for servicing the machine, which i can do with it still in the truck. For a bathtub (rig with a pickup bed), it works surprisingly well, and i think i have just enough room to sneak a fifth wheel hitch in there, so i can get a camper this year.

20181022_110327.jpg

Screenshot_20190109-202817_Photos.jpg

New Year, New Gear

Starting off 2019 right -- spending $700 on rope and carabiners from Tree Stuff. Got brand new 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 rigging line (all Notch Kraken), along with wide gate steel carabiners for rigging.

A new and used set of Buckingham pole gaffs to outfit our climbers.

Also, our pallet arrived: mid-size grapple for our log truck. Should be just right, Goldilocks. The first one was too big, the other one was too small that we more recently acquired from the Mexican national who bought our knuckle boom. This new one has the right diameter grab for our usual picks and load capacity -- should be able to handle 24" diameter logs safely without resorting to slings.

But we're also in a serious chainsaw crisis with issues ongoing with the 346 carb, 372 falling to pieces, 200T getting snatched, 201T pull cord breaking... With our local saw shop being little help (they sell both Stihl & Husqy) -- repairs are often untrustworthy -- we are considering switching over to Stihl exclusively, which would open up our options around the region for suppliers & repair shops...

Thanks for supporting our sponsor, brother!!!

AhjUITf.gif

Well I got my Clogger Zero Gen2 s...XS, they are too big!!
Too long and baggy in the legs, waist is only just snug, and I'm losing the Christmas excess...
Will try XXS

Fiona, consider keeping the somewhat too large, if you can get the length tailored to fit. Then leave the waist loose, no belt, and use suspenders. You may find as I have that this arrangement is the coolest for cut-proof pants, by allowing some body heat to vent upwards and out.

Just an idea...but it works a treat for me in warm weather.

I remember talking about my preference for baggy chainsaw trousers, Burnham hisself made the point (which always stuck with me) that the chain could pull the loose leg of the trouser around and therefore attack the unprotected rear of the leg.

For that reason they should be snug.

The other issue about baggy waists and braces is that when climbing and using the saw the trousers tend to fill up with dust/shavings, always unpleasant.

Both valid posts, thanks.
The new cloggers are really thin, so I'd like them to be more snug, they have vents behind the knees so a loose waist isn't as necessary for heat management, oh the drama to find the perfect fit!

I remember it being about CHAPS...full wrap vs less than full. The less than could be dragged in by the saw and possibly expose the leg to the chain.

Back