O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Don't they make new carbs for those stihl?
If only the carb was the only issue on the dud 200T. It needs a new carb, pull start, new wrap handle, possibly a new fuel tank and/or fuel filter mechanics. Basically a full rebuild. I see some on eBay that look as though they are buying into a project. Wish I would've known Butch's was on the sale block!

I stopped in the local Echo dealer 3 blocks from my house and they told me that they had only gotten a shipment of 4 x 2511Ts and one sold, then another sold, then that 2nd man came back and bought up the other remaining 2. Now they were saying the factory is backordered for 2511s, but might be able to order in one for us soon.

I put new leaf springs on my chip truck this morning. 1997 F Super Duty (F-450) with almost 200K miles, and the steel bed/box is relatively heavy. Before I had less than an inch travel on the overloaders and less than 3 inches to the bump stops. Now I have 2 inches to the overloaders and 5 inches to the bump stops. Looking forward to seeing how much better it handles a load.

If anybody is shopping leaf springs, these guys have good prices and so far I'm very pleased with the quality.
https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/index.php?p=home

0BB56C7D-D75F-43AF-9563-19FF60CAA95C.jpg
Pure sexiness8). Love the weight and power. Throttle response is instant. Stig’s review was spot on. Stihl did good on this saw. Hoping to run it a bunch this week. I’ve been standing back and letting the boys do the felling for a while. I’m going to have to climb out of the cab and show them how it’s done now.

Also we are required high viz on most of our sites now. Really makes a difference. Class two I believe but most wear class three.
Thanks for the link Brian. I’ll be looking than up later. Need to get back to organizing my pickup. I’m getting paid to haul tools and guys to the job till my new work truck gets bought. My new role in the company is to be a bit more supervisory. Until the office can figure out what my new title will be, GF seems to work. Less physical work with more paperwork.

A follow up on the springs. Here's a couple pics to hopefully give some perspective on the truck stance. I bought the HD springs which are rated for about 1400 lbs more than the original. Not sure if they are for a different version of the truck, possibly what evolved into the F550? They also have the HD springs for the front which have 3 leaves instead of 2 and are rated for 1125 lbs more. I may end up buying those as well depending on how it handles and if I feel like stiffer springs up front would be beneficial.

43-901HD rear
43-630HD front

Attachments

• IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 56
No, shipping was by freight truck. Was $141 shipping for my order and they charge extra for residential delivery. I had it dropped at a shop up the road owned by a friend.

Now to mull over the options for another aloft saw: used 200T, brand new 201 TC M, or Echo 2511T. Might go with the middle option for now, as a medium climbing saw under warranty would probably scratch the sweet spot (for reliability!).
So now a top handle Husqvarna T540XP showed up... 37.7cc of raging eagerness, ready to cut some wood. 16" bar with just a bit more power than an unmodified 200T -- going to put it through some paces tomorrow on some trimming jobs. Still would like the Echo, too though...
H110-0184.png

My mind is made up, brothers and sisters. The day after my beloved 044 dies, I'll sell the hulk off for more money than it is worth and buy a brand spankin' new 462C.

I'll have a tear or two in my eye though. I still recall well the first 044 I ran, back in the mid 1980's. Fireline felling. My gods, that saw was a gift from heaven.

Of course, when my venerable 044 does finally die, that might be well after I can remember much of anything, let alone be able to run a chainsaw safely :D. Still...that's my plan :).

And then there is the 064...:/:.

As my buddy Stig likes to remind me...antique saws. And as I like to remind him...I'm an antique, too...me and those old saws seem to mesh. At the least, I can wrench on them with confidence :D.

The Husky topper is a powerful saw, no doubt, a little fragile, in mine and others experience.

Be careful lumping it around, ‘tis poky though!

Three Bucketeers

Okay, just to prove that I'm not just talk -- here's some photos of the "new" bucket truck. Obviously you can guess from which company we obtained it...
Painting it is high on the list, probably white. GMC 7500 TopKick, all gas, including the Kubota pony motor. 60' boom w/elevator = 75' working height, forestry package.
P1390060.jpg P1390069.jpg P1390083.jpg

Thanks! We were very hesitant at first, not wanting to look like we were reliant on Asplundh castaways, but it was a good price point even factoring in a paint job -- lower miles than many others, ready to work, no issues with the Altec boom. Got new mirrors on it ($600 for the set!), so it looks better now. Haven't chipped into it at all yet, been working in tandem with the chip truck the last 2 weeks. Strangely enough, haven't needed to climb in over 3 weeks now -- all bucket work, but then again, we've been out in a forest for about 9 days straight doing the thinning/cleanup job.
P1390832.jpg P1390843.jpg P1390846.jpg

Nice truck. I highly recommend painting it just for the image projected to customers and potential customers. Do you really want to be known as the 'used to be line clearance guys' tree company?

I think that most people don't know any different, ex-line clearance or not.

As a starting point, (2) BIG SIGNS that cover the bulk of the dump bed, easy on-easy off (paint it, put it back on), would be money better spent. The first thing I noticed (after it looking like a used Asplundh rig with a lotta working height) is the bent headache rack.

I don't care if people have older stuff, that is taken care of, and clean, but to my very limited-perspective eyes, a bent rack makes me say, if they can't take care of their own expensive stuff, how will they treat mine?".

A paint job is great, unless in 3000 miles you realize, "Oh Shit!".

In 3000 miles you might say, "Well worth painting!". It will be a big improvement. Signs move very easily between trucks and make it easier to sell.

White seems to be the standard for paint now.

Looks like it will be a good producer in your market.

Showing up with that bad-ass grapple truck, and a tall bucket-truck and huge chipper is pretty solid, painted or not.

Well, maybe :)...I think after the headache rack and front bumper is corrected, the repaint would be soon to follow, if it was my truck.

Back