O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Yeah it caught me as well. I turned the tables on my wife. “It was on sale. I couldn’t afford not to by at least one”. I’ve been on them before. Plan on having it properly broke in before the rain comes in again Saturday night

All the Rope / No Rope engravings make me smile. How about pictograms instead? Love the ones on the chipper of stick figures being dragged in, the one on the bucket truck of a stick figure being electrocuted, etc.

That is till you take an osha class and have to stare at powerpoints for so many hours of those exact things in real life. They started having our first year apprentices do the osha 30 class, after that I'm amazed any of them even go to work!

No, I'm serious, 30 hours of 1000 ways to die is terrifying. Bunch of electrocutions, where they show the progression from a little burn spot to massive tissue damage and death a week later. Fall victims where you can't hardly tell who they were with up close shots of the damage. Imagine the worst climbing incidents shown here, but in a classroom setting where they have long discussions of the physiological damage done complete with super up close pictures and video on a projector screen. Then to walk into a powerplant or chemical plant with a bunch of guys working everywhere and all sorts of terrible stuff everywhere you look, and they gotta climb scaffold 100 feet in the air and start taking apart lines with chemicals in them. The trade itself is scary enough, add watching a real life horror movie that goes on for a week on top of it, and it makes them reconsider doing this job lol. When I started I had a horrible fear of heights and a bit of claustrophobia on top of it, but i was lucky to work on projects where i could ease up to it and get used to it. In time i came to enjoy high work and confined space work, and am kinda known for both. I've done xray welding on rope access, where most fitters would never go on rope ever. Ironically walking i beams and confined space work is considered normal tho hahahahahaha.

Edit: 100 percent tie off isn't common either, and the heights you can be climbing ladders and stuff is kinda ridiculous. It's getting more and more that way, but it isn't there and likely won't ever be.

As an 11th grader in ROTC they showed us old videos of possible army related injuries. The frozen foot injury where it got gangrenous and the doctor grabbed the toes and broke off the whole toe section where it attached to the foot...with the accompanying dribbling of pus and other fluids really got my attention.

At one point I worked in the tire shop and there was a plywood sheet hanging on the wall with the two bloodstained split rims of an A-4 tire, complete with color photos of the blown apart fellows who attempted to break it down w/o releasing the pressure and breaking the bead. I never could figure out why at least one of those two fellows didn't know better.

Any of those vids online? I could use some :\: as a safety measure

I'm sure. If i have time later and want to have trouble sleeping I'll hunt some down. It seemed to me to have a bunch of electrocutions, which have a weird way of showing themselves. The first day is a little spot, but over the next few days more and more tissue dies and next thing you know they are dead. I've done both an osha 10 and a 30, when i did the 10 we had a guy come talk to us who got burned over 75 percent of his body, but was only 21 or so when it happened so he actually lived. He explained the treatment, which is where they put you in a bathtub to loosen the scabs, and then start flaying them off so you can move again (the scars will make you completely immobile and shit). They did this for months, usually without anesthesia because it could cause his heart to stop. He would scream and cry, but it had to continue, day after day, month after month.

To listen to this man tell this story, looking at his scars, seeing him relive this hell he went through moved me so much i can still feel the anxiety and horror i orginally felt to this day. All i know is he is far tougher than i ever will be, even the thought of going through a day of that and i would kill myself without hesitation. The thing is tho, he had the sharpest and wittiest humor I've ever met, and was full of life. He goes around talking to other fitters about safety, and no doubt has touched many people's lives for the better.

He told a very funny story that happened during his recovery. He had the bandages all over his body still, and had to go to the bank to get some money out. He didn't think anything about it until the bank clerk handed him the whole drawer. He tried to explain he wasn't robbing them but here come the cops. Once they figured out all out and who he was, everyone felt like a complete asshat and obviously wouldn't dare think of pressing charges or arresting him. So he and his buddies went to a different bank every weekend for a few months :lol:

Broke out the reserve 550XP that we've been holding onto, since the other 550GXP was having starting/coil issues when hot. Had bought this one on eBay as "used" but it was totally brand new, not even fuel in the tank. I think it's become my favorite saw -- great power to weight ratio, good for limbing and small felling.

A 545 is no slough compared to the 550 and is a little cheaper. Just saying if you were looking for a good small saw that saves you a few bucks.

Thanks for the advice, but we have our 346 in the shop but are seriously thinking of trading it in on a 3rd 550 (used) that the dealer just got in. I think it'll be good to have 3 good, fresh general purpose saws and if one went down, we'd have parts to cannibalize.

That and our 2nd lemony 372XP -- seriously thinking of trading it in on a new 572XP. Salivating. Considering. Not much arm twisting needed!

So the wholesale Stihl conversion plan is Stihl-born! Orange is still flying high in this Forest.

So the wholesale Stihl conversion plan is Stihl-born! Orange is still flying high in this Forest.

I've been considering selling off a bunch of saws and buying Huskys.

Keeping the 200t until it's dead, but I think I'd be able to handle almost everything that comes my way with my top
handle, a 550xp, a 562xp and a 572xp but possibly the 575xp.

Hey, we're still rolling with a 200T, 201T, HT-133, and an 880 Magnum. So consider us a "checkered flag" -- orange and putty gray for the win!

Back