O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Assuming the machine doesn't really move much on its own, I'd consider a metal stop for the tracks to butt against with a couple short chains to hold it in place. Quicker than dealing with ratchets/binders every time you load/unload it.

Not legal, I'll bet.

We had a woman lose her face a decade ago from a 2x4 coming off someones truck.

You've heard of DUI Patrols, and such. Here we have signs on the highway announcing Unsecured Load patrols.

"Every state has laws that make it illegal for items to fall from a vehicle while on the road. In Washington State, the fine for transporting an unsecured load is $228. If an item falls off a vehicle and causes bodily harm, the driver faces gross misdemeanor charges and penalties of up to $5,000 and/or up to a year in prison. King County's unsecured load fee charged at solid waste facilities is in addition to any penalties or fines by law enforcement officers."

I tried to simplify by using both.
I welded two d rings in the nose of the dump trailer, but did not want this on the rear as logs and chips would catch when dumping.
I use chains and ratchet binders in the nose. Straps in the rear. We have it dialed in so that you nose the mini in, attach the preset chain and binder hooks, reverse mini to tighten. Then ratchet the rear straps to finish. Maybe a 5 minute load up.
A purpose built trailer not dumping could have rear tie down points. On the dump, we just go under the door to the trailer frame.
When the strap wears on the long end to the frame, go get a cheap tow strap same rating with eyes and hooks on each end at harbor freight or some such. Hot knife it in half. Put through ratchet.

Wow. Thank you for all the Intel.

I will mention there are almost no rigging points on this machine... I'm used to seeing strap points to crane the machine or at least strap it down...

Mick, could you put up a pic if your grinder in the truck bed, Pretty please. Do you use ramps? Maybe a close up of how the ramps interface with truck bed...

Sorry if I'm bugging ya..

Um.. inside that trailer there are 4 little barbs or Weld rings... bad description but we strapped across the blade in the back and across the neck in the front...

They had these great inserts available for bolting into floor with steel backed plate.... goes across length of two floor boards... I liked those....

Monday is gonna be interesting.... like 35 stumps to start at this brazillianaire's house... also the biggest friggin' cedar I've ever seen in person.

also the biggest friggin' cedar I've ever seen in person.

I love it when something gets YOUR attention. I have watched over the years the big ass eucs and others that you have handled. I know it's gonna be good when you comment about an upcoming biggie. :D

Mick, could you put up a pic if your grinder in the truck bed, Pretty please. Do you use ramps? Maybe a close up of how the ramps interface with truck bed...

Sorry if I'm bugging ya..

Will do.

DOT, here, will be up your anus if there are no chains securing machinery. Just saying, I know it varies from sate to sate but better over kill than under kill.

Rayco trailers have a blade clamp or bumper pinning thing plus a chain or two holding the machines to the trailer. They've been doing it like that since we bought our first self propelled grinder in August of '98.

Nah.... it was writing on the wall...

The gardner had cut and stacked some brush.... I think the guy saw my bid and asked his gardner if he could do better....

And after that I skuttled the rest of the scope... it was 62 miles away... meh.

Go with the Gardner.

Always the way, things were a bit thin on the ground recently.

My wife said to me ‘how’s work fixed next week?’ I said ‘apart from a big couple of takedowns in a garden, the cupboard is bare’

Phone rings almost immediately, the client full of apologies cancelling the job.

Haha, that's fooked.

Now my good buddy wants me to drive 2 hours and grind pine stumps for 100/hr on his 20 acre spot.... around the pad...

Life is fun. Not sure what to do or think sometimes...

One door closes, another door opens.
Had a client msg me fro the Austrian Alps to let me know we had a budgeting problem.
So I cut her job in half. Opened up a week. Then got a call fro her neighbor that then booked that week for the same money. Win win

Haha, that's fooked.

Now my good buddy wants me to drive 2 hours and grind pine stumps for 100/hr on his 20 acre spot.... around the pad...

Life is fun. Not sure what to do or think sometimes...

$100 an hour stumping is not enough, $300 is a better number for stumping. Once you take in account fuel, teeth, pockets, bolts, and time digging out rocks you'll not be making any money at $100 an hour. It may sound like you are making money but you really aren't. For example last week I ground a stump for $75 that cost me $120 in tore up teeth, pockets, and bolts. Sure I have ground several stumps with the same pockets, teeth, and bolts but you never know what you are going to hit.

I agree with 100 being too low... probably not going to do it...

But I've never thought of what a true hourly should be... figure $300 takes care of you and the machine...?

Back