O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

With Echo, you can conservatively modify the muffler simply by removing a restive plate between the spark arrestor and the directional plate. Most have them. Like a foil style gasket with a small hole under the directional plate. Four screws is all holding it to the muffler in most cases. Or, just cut the restrictor plate the same size as the exhaust hole and reinstall.

Okay, you've convinced me -- I want one. And I'm not a climber! Oh wait, I can use it when I fly the bucket. Yeah!

Finding True Religion

We've also been kicking around a Stihl conversion, since we are unsatisfied with our Husqy dealer's service. So now instead of lusting after a 3120XP, an opportunity has appeared to pick up an 088 tomorrow morning, early. Any gotchas or things to look out for? I'm going to go see it at 8:30 am. It sounds to be just an (ex) wife, parting out some goods. But she knows what it's worth, so I only get the "have to drive 3 hours each way" discount, not much below fair market value.

Why not just buy new? Six hours on the road is a lot of lost time. New has a warranty, used unless it has an outstanding price and close by. And what's fair market $6-800?

It turned out to be in the nick of time; back in time for the felling cut on the 6' DBH bur oak (and the 3 trunk cuts). No dealer in the area had one ready to go, esp. on a Friday afternoon-Sunday. Saved $500+ off new, but as you pointed out, no warranty. So now we have an MS 880 Magnum w/ a 41" bar, quite the ripping saw!

It was really a matter of timing, we had to finish the job today, as we're contracted to do a clearing/thinning job for the next week in another town; had to finish this one off for the sake of the builder moving forward on the house.

We've also been kicking around a Stihl conversion, since we are unsatisfied with our Husqy dealer's service...
Just to show that we aren't completely giving up on the big orange H, we bought a Husqy 550XP G (heated handle) today. Our 346XP has a burnt up carb and needs some servicing. So our current 5-10 day forest thinning job was crying out for a ~50cc saw. Low and behold, a low mileage used one was available locally, immediately.

Ya, I know Squish. Days are long and time is short. Got back from dumping after sunset, had supper with the family. Now trying to unload the camera and organize photos from the past week or so. I should be able to do a mass "photo bomb" soon. But feeling a bit under the weather now and need to head to bed!

Mailman just brought two Akimbos from Jaime.

Now we've got 5, except one is on vacation in Tasmania:)

P1060559.JPG

Badass! Everything Rock Exotica makes is so pretty. Jaime couldn't have picked a better company to produce them.

pL84mos.gif

New chipper alert!

So it’s looking probable I’m getting this chipper, Schliesing 485ex, 75 horse, on a turntable, 870 hours.

They are a very well regarded brand in Europe, German made, very well built. 2000kg, not sure how many of your guinea fowl spleens that equates to.

Bank says yes, price agreed, 6 hours away so I’m off next week with a bankers draft, nothing is set in stone though.

I’m getting shot of the other one, I have fallen out of love with it and I want a last chipper to see me to retirement.

Attachments

• 1AC7B966-D6E9-4693-9B19-4AC10881CCA3.jpg
    1AC7B966-D6E9-4693-9B19-4AC10881CCA3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 35B32C56-8BFC-4401-8740-D5F3FF73724F.jpg
    35B32C56-8BFC-4401-8740-D5F3FF73724F.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 36
Turntable sounds like a great feature. Kinda surprised we don't see it more often. In an industry so devoted to safety, it makes sense to try to help keep people from having to stand in traffic.

Back