O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I prefer the thicker red and white wedges but still pull out one of my hard heads if I just need to wedge a stump cut to keep from binding my saw. They don't have enough lift to do much without stacking them and as noted they don't stack well. I like them in concept but the red and whites are what I pull out of the truck when I need wedges.

how about saw chip between them?

The more involved way, which can stack two or THREE wedges means bore-cuts. First through the face from the front (personal preference), and from the rear, one below and optionally one above the first, parallel, 1/2" or less spacing of wood between them (puts wood between plastic, creating a slot).

Willie has an interesting way that I never saw or heard of. Maybe he'll put up the pic, if he reads this. It a criss-cross way of stacking using a buncha wedges, 4 might work, but he had 6 or more, IIRC. Intentionally, they aren't run in a stack, parallel to one another.

Just make a bunch of stacking plates.
Problem solved.

We have 2 wedges and 3 plates in the pouch.
Beyond that, we either cut a block of wood, or go to the truck for reinforcements.

Or a table saw if you want perfectly parallel edges, and a consistent uniform end product. You could set the width of the fence to your chosen wedge, then just rip the cutting board down to the proper width. I've ripped cutting boards down before for restaurant equipment. The HDPE cutting boards can be processed with standard woodworking equipment -- sanders for round-overs on the edges, routers for edge chamfer, etc.

Problem, the HDPE is very slippery and you don't want that to keep a pile column stacked with hard side hits. One plate should be fine but I can't see 2 or more stacked and staying as is while you beat the wedges over them.

The extruded nylon that we use for stacking plates is very slick, too.
Never had one slip while besting on the wedges.

200T is back from the shop -- new carb and lines courtesy of our saw shop that we have on probation. But it's still cutting out at high RPM. Maybe a line coming unseated?

Finally obtained an orchard ladder that's been on the list for over a year now. Found on a PurpleWave auction. Now just need to go pick it up. Another road trip in the near future?

Sounds like the 200T might have a leaky crank seal if the new carb didn't fix it. Al Smith has split the case and fixed a few but most shops won't put that much work into it. Might have gotten it hot one time too many.

The shop mech said the lower end of my 200 is toasted and not worth fixing. I guess he means the gears and stuff...?.. is this true? It also has a cracked gas tank...

Some MF left it under the truck.

Lower end means crank and bearings as far as I know Deva. Cracked fuel tank adds a lot because it’s the main body of the saw. If you have another parts saw laying around it might be worth it though.

I agree Randy, the 200’s are becoming a thing of the past. I’m about done putting money into mine. Of course they’ve all had top ends at least once. One had the lower end done because the dealer forgot the key on the flywheel and spun it on the crank causing enough wear to not seat properly. I didn’t think the flywheel was hard enough to wear the crank but it did. They ate that one.

Thanks guys... it's more Sentimental than anything... That one girl bought it for me... the one before this girl.

I have another 200 sitting right there with fresh rebuild...

But great information Saw lords!

Other research from the saw front lines... the new climber dropped the baby echo from a 60 foot palm and only the side cover broke... thing fired right up... but was like a dry clutch ducati or old harley....

Surely "flat" is a relative term. Even 1-2" (2.5-5cm) would be sufficient to begin an undercut with a bore cut.
$1200 for wheel chocks and beech propping, not a bad investment, I'd say!

Got a CS2511t. Had to look down every once in a while to remember that I was not cutting with my Silky Sugoi, it was so light, with the heavy echo bar and chain. Easy to bog down when cutting full bar length with metal dogs, so had to be delicate with the pressure. Zip Zip Zip. Going to make the 193t look heavy.

I put the Sthil chain on it that I run on the 200t. Worked great. Much better than the Oregon it came with.
FWIW,it was one link diffy on the spinning one from the Oregon.

Back