O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I would have preferred yellow or orange to stick with the crew theme and be more high viz, but Luke's Floor is grab-what's-available, no color choice in the matter.

We have hiviz jackets that the guys wear on the ground, I get annoyed when one of them takes them off and put them in the truck without telling me, I’m looking for hi viz under the tree, if I don’t see it, there’s a chance (in the heat of battle) that stuff gets dropped on heads.

It’s not that they have to wear it.

It’s that going from wearing it to not wearing it without telling the climber, or hanging it up in my sight so I think they’re where they’re not, is an annoyance, and possibly worse.

ABSOLUTELY.

So much less stress for me, and much, much safer.

My late-neighbor was run down on the job twice, at least the second time, in hi-viz, but in the rain. Second time...brain injury and metal in the hip, a limp, and chronic pain.

I'm much more concerned about hi-viz with reflective stripes than company logo on a shirt. Any time you unexpectedly are on the road, or expectedly on the road, you're ready, as well.

We work/ travel in the dark somewhat, and pack-up with lights in the winter, as best of times you're lucky to have 9 hours of solid light in the dead of winter.

I'd put some hi-viz stickers on top. It's amazing how much that black helmet reduces your birds'-eye hi-viz profile.

One needs to consider the angular size of things. The sun and moon each take up Only 1/2* of size in the sky. A person, from 60-80', IDK, but its very small. With your high production rate, it's easy to cut corners, and you're at the mercy of your climber. I'm one to stack odds in my favor.

A low-viz helmet is like knee-length chaps.

I was going to congratulate him on the chaps in the last video, instead of the comfy pajama pants.

Meanwhile, the Kask helmet is going back. Tried to wear it for a quick 1 hour chip session, but the muffs keep popping back out, won't stay engaged.

Got the new mirrors for the bucket truck, installed them today. Now we just need to cover up all that orange paint and decal it up!

Thanks for the tip, but didn't work. Seems as though it's just not compatible with my two foot head. Works fine for the two climbers (narrower faces), so one of them took it on. I'm just going to get the Vizr for my Petzl Vertex

Excellent. I've been flying one I bought from Rico.

Speaks to the product, that you buy a replacement.

Do you use it for take-downs, pruning, or all around?

Use it for everything Sean. SRT, Ddrt, pruning, TDs, bucket work. Good all around saddle. Got 5 years on the 3.1. The fall arrest suspenders were still good, so I had the new connector straps (spares) put back. Good to go.:)

Another Husqy 550XP showed up on the doorstep today. We liked the 550XP G so much we got a 2nd one, since it's a great package -- power to weight ratio, great for limbing, bucking, and medium felling. It was supposed to be used, but showed up without even ever having gas in the tank!

Now to mull over the options for another aloft saw: used 200T, brand new 201 TC M, or Echo 2511T. Might go with the middle option for now, as a medium climbing saw under warranty would probably scratch the sweet spot (for reliability!).

Used 200T...if it has a few kicks left in it, I'd go that way. But I'm an old crusty curmudgeon of a tree climber from Stihl country. Take that into consideration :D.

We love us a 200T, no doubt. But only one good one here now. One dud on a shelf, a 201T (1st gen) and an 020, both with their share of quirks and under-powered performance. So that makes us a bit gun shy to gamble on a potential dud on eBay with unexpected carb issues... Maybe we'd have more confidence once we lock into a good Stihl shop in the area.

The little Echo 2511 is an absolute gem of a saw, a leap forward, I’ve had 9 Stihl toppers (I think) starting with a 020 in 96 then 5x200s and now have 3x201s on the go.

But this little Echo is the go-to climbing saw every single day, first on the truck, the 201s feel like I’m pulling a breeze block around the tree.

The Echo is so light you think it’s dropped off sometimes.

Sure I’m getting older and weaker so appreciate the lighter stuff more than the young bucks, but this saw is fantastic.

Back