O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

White is a city truck color... say NO to white!

I ran an army green bucket for a while - I bet it was an old military one. I always felt road-warriorish driving it...

Painting a bucket truck is an exorbitant expenditure. I can think of a lot more stuff I'd rather do with my money concerning building my treeco.

The main thinking is resale value: since this is definitely a stepping stone/building block purchase, probably will flip it in a year or two, then there's the potential customer perception of using worn-out equipment. There's a few rag tag treecos around here with a mix of aging equipment and want to avoid any association/stigma. Plus, there's the element of a matching fleet of trucks/equipment that makes the crew look sharp & professional when rolling into a job. Not trying to look more than what we are, but hit the middle ground (just as with our pricing).

Painting a bucket truck is an exorbitant expenditure. I can think of a lot more stuff I'd rather do with my money concerning building my treeco.

It goes to branding, look at Assplunder everybody knows that shade of orange or John Deere green or Cat yellow or DOT palm yellow. If you have a fleet or a small number of trucks it's better to be all the same color.

Got my Log-rite Mark 7 Arch, with upgraded wheels, towed behind my truck to get it home from down the main country road. Supposed to be rated to 35 MPH. Kept it at 30, tops.

They also have the big dog Log-rite arch that will come up for sale. They don't have a price in mind, yet. I'll let them come to me on it. They were using Mama arch and papa arch together with their ATV to pull 40' logs from thinning their FSC forest (a reasonably flat forest, not at all what you'd call steep ground).

They are keeping their Jr. Arch for general use.

Picked up a Kombi 131 (largest) powerhead. Looks nice. My 130 started to act up today.

What else you going to use it for, besides the chainsaw pruner head? I was eye humping the kombi 10 years ago and went with the ht101 because it offered way more reach and I already got a decent string trimmer for home.
Can you add extensions on extensions to get the length you get from the ht131 / 101? The multiple tool options is cool though, and all breaks down much smaller.

You're only supposed use one extension (about 3'). I have used a HT131 or whatever the big boy is. Its way heavy and limited use for me. I rarely use a pole chainsaw.
I think I've seen a video of three extensions plus the pole saw shaft/ gearbox bar making about 20' or reach.
My orchard ladders extend the reach, and allow better cuts, as its lightweight. I can about one-hand the powerhead and pole with no extension (sometimes when whacking stuff back, pulling down a branch and whacking the end off is enough for the task at hand, like sectioning back a long upward-growing limb where you need out of reach tips).

I have a blower (step up from handheld Stihl, before the BR600).

I have the brush cutter blade, string trimmer, hedge shear that I use a couple times a year (I've been working on shearing low branches around conifers that people want to be able to mow around easily, rather than canopy raising, creating problems, and losing screening. I have some hedge at home. A few in the mix at customers houses.

There is a new electric Kombi with all electric tools. Too bad the electric doesn't just spin the drive shaft on old tools.

There is a power broom that I'm considering, but its a $400 attachment IIRC, and I don't know how it will work. Probably once you have the main parts, the other wheels (bristle broom, rubber paddle broom, IDK if there is a third) would be a small add-on.

Would work for light snow, stump chips, not sure about rakings, though, which is what I really want if for. Stump chips move with a blower, to a degree, and I have 3.

going to get the Vizr for my Petzl Vertex

I tried the Vizr, was not a fan ultimately. It gets pine pitch etc on it, and despite cleaning it becomes hard to see through fairly quickly, ime.

Out with old and in with the new.....

Nice looking saddles!

GF seems to work. Less physical work with more paperwork.

Nice progression you are on, Rich.

A follow up on the springs.

You sure that's a FL truck??? ;) I saw nary a bit of rust on most trucks down there. True, there is salt air but the lack of road salt makes all the difference in the world.

here's some photos of the "new" bucket truck.

Nice rig, good luck with it

Cory, glad you're back!

I always thought GF was shorthand for "girlfriend" ;)

Yes, thought the better of the Vizr after looking at our climber's scratched up one (but wondering if Brasso wouldn't take them out, as with headlight lenses). Going to go with the Husqvarna forestry screen instead -- decent peripheral vision, unlike the Stihl helmet.

I got a vizir on my vertex....so far so good.
I scored a pair of Stihl fire resistant, arc proof, high viz, 'government/council' chainsaw trousers for $190...marked down from over $400, size small, a girl just can't resist a sale.

Look, I had to send my Clogger Zeros back twice to get the proper fit, mens XS too big, womens XXS too small...I have to do a fashion walk at the postoffice so the couple that run it can see what all the fuss was about.
I will NOT wear ill-fitting chainsaw trousers, nuh uh, no way boyfriends!! snap those fingers...

Back