O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I have been using the Silky Ibuki 390 blade on my pole saw for over a year now and it seems to be a good balance of strength and weight.

I don't know which blade it is, but I also took the handle off my Fanno saw and put it on my pole saw. Much stiffer then a regular blade.

Added this to our fleet this week. 38 ton with 127? of boom. We traded in our 23 ton for this one.

Lordy, that is a sweet piece of tree equipment. Imo, anything from a 33 to a 40 is perfect for a tree service. You must be ecstatic! Heck you can do a lot of damage with a 23 but that bad boy there will give you mega production.

Makes me think of Dan Mayer's line regarding tree guys who would ask him how he could afford those super pricey cranes of his. He would just say, "these cranes make so much money so fast and so easy that I couldnt possibly afford not to have them" 8)

These days probably fewer and fewer tree guys would question owning a crane.

A log truck pulled right out in front of me on June 27, causing me to total my 2006 F250. I decided to give Ram a try....I got one tool box mounted, along with dividers to keep saws organized. Still gotta pick up another box for my rigging gear.

OYs0kqM.jpg

0qpl9aK.jpg

Wfa927Z.jpg

Lordy, that is a sweet piece of tree equipment. Imo, anything from a 33 to a 40 is perfect for a tree service. You must be ecstatic! Heck you can do a lot of damage with a 23 but that bad boy there will give you mega production.

Makes me think of Dan Mayer's line regarding tree guys who would ask him how he could afford those super pricey cranes of his. He would just say, "these cranes make so much money so fast and so easy that I couldnt possibly afford not to have them" 8)

These days probably fewer and fewer tree guys would question owning a crane.

Thanks Corey! We are very excited. The 23 was nice but we were always pushing it to the max. We were able to get a very good deal on this one so the upgrade cost wasn’t huge. Can’t wait to put it to work next week.

I got them for my chip truck so I had my welder make some brackets and hung them off the truck frame. I wouldn't hang them off the bottom of the bed unless it wasn't a dump bed.

Mine's a fixed flat bed with 3" crossmembers. Should be plenty strong enough for a 24"-30" box, I'd guess.

Set it so the front is recessed an inch or two from the edge of the bed. If you have them flush then the rain water will end up getting in the doors.

Getting some numbers on another bucket truck. Been thinking about replacing my old 2001 AM855 since it has 18,000 hours and is getting tired. Spotted this AM55E on Altec's website and think it might do the trick. It's a 2006 but only 39,000 miles and 4,000 hours. https://www.altec.com/products/available-inventory/used/2005-altec-am55e/

Plusses are that it is old enough to not have DEF and all the headaches that go along with it, dead nuts reliable DT466 engine, 4X4, and the E series has a lot more side reach because the lower boom goes to 124* instead of just 100*. That means another 6-7' side reach and I can put the bucket on the ground beside the truck. Here's the spec sheet on the AM55E series.
https://www.altec.com/site/uploads/AM50-55-60E-One-Sheetv2.pdf

I can sell the 2001 for enough money to pay off the loan on the 2008 I just bought last year and still just have one truck payment. And both bucket trucks will have under 5000 hours each.
May 21 when I first contacted Altec about this truck and I finally have a delivery date of 8/13, next Monday. A week shy of 3 months! My salesman has always been super nice but he really doesn't hurry on much of anything unless you keep prodding him. Every time I ask for an update it has been "I'll get an answer tomorrow" and I don't hear from him until I call again a week later.

Anyway, I'm excited about getting the truck next week. The link doesn't work any more so for those who missed it, it's a 2006 International 7300 4x4 with an Altec AM55E aerial lift. 60' working height, 48' side reach, 2000 lb material handler, PTO driven winch on the front bumper and only 40K miles. I specifically wanted a 2007 or older to avoid the DEF and associated emissions issues.

The biggest defect I could find on the truck was the terrible bed layout. Handles and steps are all wrong, very difficult to get in or out of the bucket safely. Hopefully that is why the truck never got used. I will fix all that before I put it into service. Looking forward to a 60' boom without 18,000 hours of wear and slop.

PS- My old truck is now officially for sale!

Wrist Rocket, SAKA mini...yessss!
Going to get another Zubat, the smaller one. I used it a LOT this summer in Bermuda, left it behind to keep the Zubat 330 and Sugoi company until next year.

Back