O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Thanks Mick, Johnny Hart and Stig! Your comments are all greatly appreciated. I have much to think about, and research to do. Thanks for giving me a great place to start looking.

Tim

I doubt I'd use the MCRP for much lifting at all. Anything rated around 1500lbs has no business in lowering loads. I bought it to pull leaning trees where I want them to go. Maybe for pre-tensioning, but there's better options. GRCS is made for lifting.

The gas winch Mick posted, as well as the chainsaw powered Lewis winches are cool as hell, they'll pull some weight.

Yes, pulling trees is what I had in mind. I would back up whichever device I used with a lowering device like the Stein bollards, which would be used for the lowering aspect once the lift was completed. Thanks.

Tim

A bit more pull needed...

We just took down a medium/large hedge apple (Osage orange) yesterday. It was right on the fence/property line with significant back lean over the fence and the neighbor's roof. We dropped some weight off the back (a couple of substantial limbs), then set a high pull line. We set up the GRCS on a pin oak nearby (just out of the drop zone) and then set a redirect block in the other neighbor's pin oak. Crank, crank, crank. 40:1 ratio, pulled the main trunk right over past the lean. Then the second leader, which was a bit more slender, but closer to the fence and probably more back weight, right over the neighbor's roof. Rather than piece it out and clean up 2 yards, we put a 2nd redirect block in the same oak and used our winch to help pull. 10,000lb winch + GRCS in tandem once we had command of it to near upright, GRCS took it the rest of the way down.

Have fun getting that new big shot rubber on, helps if you warm it up first. :/:

Ha ha! Mine broke otj last week so we took it apart and shortened the legs so it still worked, just less powerful. The ninja had a great trick for getting the rubber back on, he sprayed the metal with windex which acted as a lubricant but it will evaporate after thus preventing the rubber for being pulled off during use. He learned the trick when he worked at a bike shop assembling bikes, they used windex to get the handlebar grips on.

That works for logo stickers on trucks as well. The shop guy at the construction company did all of the fleet and they were all perfect. Secret was windex. Gives you a bit to slide them before they stick

they use it at tiffany jewelers too if a ring gets stuck on a finger.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DrDROoJAF4I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dental floss works even better, under far more difficult situations...that was a nothing tight ring issue, there. Made up for the vid, imo.

Cleaned up the garage and got my nuts and bolts racks hung on the wall. I've wanted a good nuts and bolts assortment for most of my adult life.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 49
It says the seller does not take returns. To my eyes, that unit looks like it has seen heavy use. I'm not believing the person when they say that the damage that you see to that unit is only from moving it around a lot. If that is all that it had been put through, it would look nearly pristine, I think.

Tim

Got 4 of these steel screwgates. Gonna put together a little speedline kit with some beer knot slings. Sure they're only 25kn and they're steel screwgates, but under 6$ each for ISC biners, can't go wrong if you respect their limits.
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=30&item=5873#detail

Also my first ever static climbing rope. One of Tree Stuff's Edelrid 11mm shorties. 110' ish ain't all that short to me :)
Feels pretty stiff. Looking forward to trying it and learning a bit though. I've never used a static rope ever.
20181109_204901.jpg

Back