What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Pine Nut
6c8aa020dfb82566.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut

I've eaten them in mixed nuts. Very smooth oval shaped light colored oily nut, about the size of a peanut. A rather refined nut, I think you could say. Daff as a pine nut could be regarded as a compliment.

Frozen pizza :( doctored up a little, but I am planning on making pork schnitzels tomorrow with a savory sliced apple something or another that I have yet to create and garlic mashed taters.

Ahhhhhh..
Yeah I thought I was gonna have to run to the store for the L part myself. Then found some momma bought :D :/:

Guess I will be replacing her lunch salad lettuce tomorrow :lol:

I made pasta tonight, spinach fettuccine with grilled chicken, bell peppers, olive oil and a smidge of garlic. Topped with a pinch of feta then grape tomatoes from the garden.

Attachments

• IMAG1440.jpg
    IMAG1440.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1
Homemade pasta?

I use our pasta maker all the time, nothing like fresh homemade pasta!

Go to lil Italy and get yourself a pasta maker with a electric motor, you will never look back. It's easy and fun!

Speaking of food gizmos, or in this case, drink, a liquor shop in the next town is installing some Italian or German wine drinking machines, I believe three bottles per machine. You stick your card in the machine and select, taste, half glass, or full glass, and automatically it comes out of the bottle into your glass, at the appropriate temperature, of course! Somewhere your cost gets noted, or it is a pre paid card. Six machines means eighteen different bottles of wine at your disposal. They are changing from a pure liquor store to also this self service wine bar, and in a location where a lot of folks are strolling around in the evening, all day really, and many can walk home. The place has also been remodeled to have a conducive atmosphere for the new arrangement. Some cheese and other condiments will also be available.

Though the machines are quite expensive, I think it is a dynamite idea. I know the architect managing the project, that's how I heard about it. The machines have to be imported, probably the first to enter the country.

Oh yeah, seldom are the parking lots not full at the popular parlors. They have cleaned many of them up a lot since you were here, more classy exteriors are common and they call them "gaming centers" or something else obtuse. Filtered air now (you could die from the tobacco smoke before), and things like women's hours where they get some kind of discount apparently. You don't so much see the seedy characters hanging around. Still the crazy deafening madness of the steel balls going around and around, but the machines are automatic digitalized now with little screens, you don't have to keep flipping a lever. The crane guy goes when he is out of work. He sometimes tells me when he wins five or six bills, but I think he often ends up giving it back, which he doesn't mention. They really hook you with their machine adjustments, regulated by law, but still.... Most of those businesses are owned by North Koreans, by the way, or the offspring of former ones that relocated here, mostly forced to during one of the Jap occupations, brought over as cheap labor. They got into those businesses when they were poor and discriminated against, and made a fortune. One operation I know of with a number of parlors, has it's gross around a million bucks a day. The bigshot lives in town. He had his whole block's street paved in red for some reason. They have a gravel and disposal operation going too, multi businesses, we get them to incinerate our brush for a fee. Some neat machines, too. You could park a railroad locomotive in their chipper infeed

No, but if I drop some brush off, I'll try to get a pic. Been meaning to but they moved it the last time I was there. It's a huge place with scales and rock crushers and lots of heavy equipment. They are kind of funny though, you don't go asking them questions unrelated to your immediate presence there, and if a limb falls out of the truck they go ballistic. The place is super clean. The only reason we can dump there is that the crane guy does work for them on the odd occasion. I don't get any of the nice, Oh you are a foreigner too smiles. They run a real tight ship, that is for sure. I don't know how many times I have been cautioned about being cool before going there alone, passing through the little pond to clean the mud off before hitting the scale while driving "SLOW". I know the routine, don't ask about Kim jong-il or anything. Being able to dump there is a big plus. Places like that is where he gets his money for his weapons of mass destruction. The Koreans have fervent ties to the homeland, for better and for worse. The haven't forgotten how the Japanese abused them, just about like everybody else in this part of the world.

Craig, I have bought from them in the past but I always remember after the fact about the hit that gets taken with the customs duties and stupid UPS 'brokerage' fees as they only ship UPS. As for the bible stuff, its on some of their promo material and website, not that I honestly care, I was just teasing a bit. They have some religious quotes on their invoices and shipping forms that caught my eye once. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/we-believe/

Thanks for the link Paul.

Maybe I will email that owner what "I believe"; His companies duties, international shipping and brokerage fees are excessive.

the shipping and prodcut costs are reasonable and sometimes great! The duties are courtesy of the gov't, what happened to free trade? I bought a pair of sneakers from them, for $55, + $20 Duty and $35 for the invoice for UPS brokerage fee, I had to divide that between the other $60 worth of products (+another $15 duty) to figure out that the deal wasnt so smokin.

Do you guys put nuts in your pesto? Never made it, but I have a whole bush of basil to do something with.

Since pinenuts are worth their weight in gold around here, I've been experimenting with cashews.
Brown them on a very hot dry skillet first and they work just fine.
I'll usually toss some walnuts in as well, just for taste.
We grow our own walnuts, so I have plenty of those, but I don't like a pesto made only from walnuts.