The Joke/Funny Pic/Video Thread

When Romania became a member of EU, it meant their 2 million gipsies were free to roam all ovcer.
We have them begging and carrying on in all major European cities.
When I first visited Hammerfest in Norway, the northernmost city in the World, there was a romanian gipsy begging on main street ( And a large group of Somalis!!)

I later found out that it is organized. every 3 weeks or so a bus brings a new crew up along Norway and picks the last one up. @biggun may know more about it, living there.

In Copenhagen they have stopped the metro several times, by pulling 1-1½ mile of signal wire down for the copper.
I have been called out to clear vegetation in a gipsy camp in inner Copenhagen, in order to make it impossible for them to hide there.
It was an unbelievable mess.

So yes, we have issues.

Not had much interaction to be honest. I have noticed that the ladies are sent out to beg. In the summer they sleep in cars and hang around the parks in the centre of the city. They carry large bin liners and walk around collecting used cans for pant. They often ask if you have finished when your sat chilling. Not a problem IMO, no more than a bar staff asking if you have empties and clearing them away for you.

For the Americans, Pant means the can can be recycled for money at machines. Lots of soft drinks, beer, water bottles all have a value to them.

No, you’re wrong, it’s not derogatory.
It depends on the context and the recipient. It's an alternative term for a member of the Romani people, but not all Romani approve of the term It can also be used as a colloquial term for an itinerant person, such as a tinker, traveler, or carny. It can definitely be offensive to some people, but not everyone or always.

Last edited:
Deposit return is far from universal here in the US, but it does exist. 10 cents (here in Oregon) on a can or bottle at least cuts down on roadside litter if nothing else. Even if it's not worth it for some to hold on to their containers for return, someone else will always be out foraging for them.

"Gypo" is common slang for "logger" in my parts, and the term is not considered derogatory.

It is what it is.
Gypo Logger isn't referring to gypsies.

To 'gyp' someone is derogatory to some people.

I've never heard anyone sensible say that is derogatory, nor tales of hard- working, law-abiding gypsies. I also don't get out to gypsy gathering, much, to understand the culture. Might be saints. LoL.

It was my understanding a gypo logger was an indie and didn't work as an employee of a mill. I extrapolated from that to conclude they traveled from job to job like gypsies, hence the name gypo. Right? Wrong? Maybe?

Gypo Logger isn't referring to gypsies.

To 'gyp' someone is derogatory to some people.

I've never heard anyone sensible say that is derogatory, nor tales of hard- working, law-abiding gypsies. I also don't get out to gypsy gathering, much, to understand the culture. Might be saints. LoL.
Yeah, gypo logger represented the small operations... not the big companies

It was my understanding a gypo logger was an indie and didn't work as an employee of a mill. I extrapolated from that to conclude they traveled from job to job like gypsies, hence the name gypo. Right? Wrong? Maybe?
I'm convinced. Let's not even verify your claim and simply say you're right. What a gorgeous answer.

Nice John, the term "timber tramp" is another great saying. When you got "tramped" meant you got fired and moved on to another logging outfit.

Wikipedia agrees with me, along with several other websites on the matter, @Mick!

I don’t care what it says (and on further reading it shows it’s far more nuanced than a good or bad word) for many it’s a compliment, as opposed to other terms they are usually called.

In fact it confirms Stig’s spelling ‘Gipsy’ as a contemporary alternative, so there’s that.

Last edited:
I don’t care what it says (and on further reading it shows it’s far more nuanced than a good or bad word) for many it’s a compliment, as opposed to other terms they are usually called.

In fact it confirms Stig’s spelling ‘Gipsy’ as a contemporary alternative, so there’s that.
I never precluded it from being a compliment. I merely said that, for a statistically significant portion of the Romani population, people find it to be derogatory. That's accurate, right?

Contemporary alternative? I read the opposite.

gypsy - https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/acref/9780199661350.001.0001/acref-9780199661350-e-2487#:~:text=The%20recommended%20spelling%20now%20is,a%20similar%20style%20of%20life.

@Mick! Is that Roller guy still on Arbtalk. He was here years ago and Tree World, can't remember the name he used but Roller something.

It was Roller on TW and here I think.

He used to get pretty upset sometimes when that stuff came up.
I don’t remember him, and a member search doesn’t come up with anything.
Any mention of gipsies, travellers or whatever always bring a degree of drama to any discussion.

Back