The Joke/Funny Pic/Video Thread

7ae51e621a9de6de2cc77051e4b1e91a.jpg

I have to wonder if that's staged.

No sign of faces cuts. Offset face-cut angles and greater distance between face-cuts/ back-cuts would be the way to go, in that situation.

On the other hand, upon zooming, there is 1, and only 1, Cryptoporis vulvatis (so?), "popcorn fungus" (sap wood rotter) conk that you find in dead or dying doug-fir.
Rotten sapwood is difficult to work with, when wedging. Stacking those big boys would have helped, absent some flat shims, a la @stig.

Last edited:
Has to be. The guy looks like a professional of some kind. Not too many Homeowner Joes go out cutting with a tape clipped to their belts.

I've used that many.

Very large trees, and especiallywith sapwood rot, felling toward a wet area with no anchor points.

Bad feeling when two strong fellers are sweating, switching off for a good 5-10 minutes, with pounding of wedges doing a lot of blowing out of the sapwood...a major impediment to stacked wedges.

We rarely pulled trees.

The right sets of wedges for a particular tree goes s long way!

On my truck, I've got smaller, but am easy 15-20.

My last tree, while climbing, I used one of my broken off mediums in a shallow back cut rather than stacking. Enough lift without bottoming out into the hinge.

It's a curious image. Speaking of the set back tree. The probability of such is not beyond any possibility in this line of work. Sure looks legit to me, as over a 42 year career I've found myself in the same predicament more than once, and not always operator error.

Well, if we assume it's legit, what do you suppose the problem was? Not much to go on, but it looks straightforward. Not particularly big, well shaped, and good bark.

Well, joking aside about homeowners buying the gear to look pro I’d agree with you Sean. It likely is a dead, dry tree that was decomposed enough such that the wedges are just compressing wood and not lifting the tree.

A tree that decrepit he would not have attempted climbing to set a line, and perhaps not a location he could get a skidder in to pull it anyway. If it is “mushy” enough he has attempted cutting close enough to his face cuts (unseen due to the angle the photo was taken) to get a workably-narrowed hinge, but the tree keeps compressing, snagging his bar(s).

In the 70's I once had 3 saws hung up in the top of a big burr oak while try to dislodge it from another burr oak following a tornado. Luckily I had one more saw at home. I tied off the first 3 and when I made the 4th cut, it looked like a Christmas tree decorated with chain saws. All were swinging gently in the breeze. A tornado can put a heck of a twist in a tree top. In urban work I most always had a pull line to keep if from going in at least one wrong direction. If no room, I roped it out of an adjacent tree. Kept the job interesting for 50 years for sure.

Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her eighties and had never been married. She was admired for sweetness and kindness to all.

One afternoon the pastor came to call on her and she showed him into her quaint sitting room. She invited him to have a seat while she prepared tea.

As he sat facing her old pump organ, the young minister noticed a cut-glass bowl, filled with water, sitting on top of it. In the water floated, of all things, a condom!

When she returned with tea, they began to chat. The pastor tried to stifle his curiosity about the bowl of water and its strange floater, but soon it got the better of him and he could no longer resist.

"Miss Beatrice", he said, "I wonder if you would tell me about this?" pointing to the bowl.

"Oh, yes" she replied, "isn't it wonderful?

I was walking through the park a few months ago and I found this little package on the ground. The directions said to place it on the organ, keep it wet and that it would prevent the spread of disease. Do you know I haven't had the flu all winter!"

Back