Anyone square grind chain on this forum ?

Talk about rocking chain. Oh gawd.

At a clients house one morning I fell a Bishop pine across their driveway, but not without first making arrangements with the client to have it bucked out and cleared at a certain time before they had to go to town for an appointment. So I fell the pine and gave the saw to the crew and instructed them to buck it out of the road so the client could leave on time. There was plenty of time, 3-4 cuts, roll the logs out of the way. All clear. Easy.

No, that's not the way it turned out. On the very first cut my young crew rocked the chain so bad you could not finish bucking the tree. Impossible. So I got on it and sharpened the chain the best I could. Pure misery. Half of it was rolled over, gone. Before I could finish sharpening the chain, though, the customer was already waiting on us to clear the road. They had to get to town fast, they said, now!!. I apologised to the customer and said it would be a couple of minutes. I gave the saw to the crew and what did they do? They stuck it in the very same cut they rocked it the first time, and because they, me and the customer were under extreme pressure, they rocked the chain even worse than the first time. Fact there wasn't enough chain left to even cut a branch.

I had to tell the customer, I'm sorry, this is going to take a while. Oh, baby, they were pissed, I was pissed and those two young men under my supervision were, well, walking on egg shells.

There was an old chain in the truck, up the hill, POS chain, I swapped over and gave the saw back to the crew again, and told them, "do not stick it in that cut!!!

Ended up getting a complaint filed by the customer for being incompetent morons.

A requirement that things go right is as close to guarantee as you'll get that it won't :^/

Well, chains get rocked, stuff happen, newer guy's learn, I learn...
It's some of those things that is constant in the world.

I doubt he put the chain in rock deliberately, even though there is those that do. Those never last long in cutting scene.
Time has a way of helping us sort out the idiots from logging. Those that are bad, never last...

Assholes, dumbasses, jackasses and other asses are not the same as idiots and can very well be around for decades. But usually learn and are very knowledgeable all the same..

Pissed off, stubborn, grumpy, old assholes is those I learned most from.
I suppose I started out as a dumbass, evolved in to a jackass and just as I graduated to a grumpy asshole I quit logging for other reasons.

Words of true wisdom for those who can read between the english as a second language lines. I'm impressed by both the writing and the content. And especially the colourful language correctly used! Kudos!

I'm not sure where I am in the progression.

Thank you for the kind words.
I have lots of practice speaking (Normal years) on the shows and read quite a bit, that helps a lot.
Interest does its part too I guess. I am too curious to pass by something I don't know..

I can recommend some fellers in your area for sharpening. Namely @huskihl

Story above is why I don't go to do a saw job without 2-3 saws and chains...one time both midsize saws went down and I felled and bucked a 30" tree with a 14" 2139 (Jonsered 40cc top handle)

Back