Anyone square grind chain on this forum ?

Frankie

I Build and Run Ported Saws !
I’ve got several chains that need to be trued up on a square grinder ... thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last time I checked it was $7 but I hear ya ... I’ve got ALOT of work coming up and have a quite a few chains that need to be trued ... (3) 25” 3/8 .05 RS converted to sqr/sqr , a few 20” and 18” and probably 12 picco from 14-16” coverted to square ... I’ll give a count when I get home tonight and maybe we can work something out .. thanks !

If someone ships me a saw, it's usually around 40 and change. If I ship that same saw back, over 80.
I would find some one closer that does not get gouged.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B3YwzRmBPLY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe if someone is offering services (or not ?) ; without a price per link including the ride back to Wny it’s meaningless , I have NP payin the cost for the ride there

For heavens sake, just buy a square file and have at it! &#55358;&#56596;&#55357;&#56900;
Been doing it for years, takes much less time than shipping crap here and there. Also square grind needs a lot of touching up!

I do have a file to sharpen sqr/sqr chain ... however nothin cuts like silvey ground sqr/sqr chain - once the geometry is dead-nuts via the grinder I get a few touch ups with the file ... rinse and repeat ... my best option wood be to spend 1g on a simington grinder but I’m too cheep :)

Just buy a new simington and be done with it. If I hadnt bought my silvey local used I would have went with it.

I hand filed square and also had the ole silvey that the simington approved on over the years.

I was doing square local for folks but there was no $ in it. So I sold it to a friend later for $550 and now he has 2.

silveyx - Copy.jpg

Like I said before I’m too cheep to spend that kind of dough for a grinder :)... just lookin for some chains to be trued up dead nuts

Just buy a new simington and be done with it. If I hadnt bought my silvey local used I would have went with it.

I hand filed square and also had the ole silvey that the simington approved on over the years.

I was doing square local for folks but there was no $ in it. So I sold it to a friend later for $550 and now he has 2.

View attachment 96222
How long does it take to square grind a chain? What were you charging?

I'm a bit surprised there are not more high quality options out there. Madsen says the simington isn't as good as Silvey, and since the 451 is an improvement over the 450, you'd think they would keep improving it until it is perfect.

I'm bummed to see the Tecomec they show hasn't changed much if any over the 1998 model I used which was super flimsy from a precision point if view. I have 50 chains to sharpen on top of the 20 I do by hand each week. It would be nice to send them off to be ground, but I have a hard time trusting the precision of grinders out there being operated up to my standards getting the teeth length and depth gauge height all even, and without heat hardening the teeth, because I'll need to be able to hand file them again.

Not sure if Cut4fun visits here any longer but to answer part of your question, grinding square is about the same time as grinding round once you get your angles set up. Hand filing is a whole different animal however.

Back