Eastern PA: Spotted Lantern Fly

BeerGeek

Tree Numbnutz
I've got a job coming up for a family member to remove 2 sizable/sloppy silver maples. His entire neighborhood is infested with Spotted Lantern flies. He's in a town about 15 miles west of Philly.

The question I have on this is for guys in this area (Murphy, Page, any others): Are your local govts/dump sites requiring any kind of notification/permits/other procedure related to informing about the pest being in contact w/the trees? I already know I'll have to wash my truck/trailer/chipper after hauling all this before heading back to the armpit of America (aka: NJ).

Thanx in advance.

- Brian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's just outside the Tredyffrin section in Wayne. Nice area with lots of big trees, but many in need of pruning/reduction, if not outright removal. Thanks for the permit info; the job itself will be interesting enough.

Thanks for the offer, Dan, but I prefer to climb while I still can. ;)

I was climbing big trees at 50. Glad you are still climbing. And if there is all that pruning and removal work on big ugly silver maples and bucket access, it's a bit of a no-brainer to bring in the bucket, maybe bring in the chipper and chip truck too. I've got numbers for log haulers and know all the local dump sites. It might be fun. Good for the community vibe here at the house too. If nothing else let's get some lunch. :)

I was climbing big trees at 50. Glad you are still climbing. And if there is all that pruning and removal work on big ugly silver maples and bucket access, it's a bit of a no-brainer to bring in the bucket, maybe bring in the chipper and chip truck too. I've got numbers for log haulers and know all the local dump sites. It might be fun. Good for the community vibe here at the house too. If nothing else let's get some lunch. :)

I'll definitely reach out for the local dump site info, and lunch will be on the agenda as well. There's no rush on this, so I'll probably wait until after the first frost to avoid any potential hitchhikers coming back to NJ with me. If you're going to the Expo in Pittsburgh next month, we can meet up there to discuss, as I'll most likely be doing it after that. Thanks.

- Brian

Good thinking... I just got a call from yardley PA, which is way out of my turf. Looks about and hour from Warren. Is that too far from you?

Pittsburg is unlikely. Not much for me there. But look me up and let's talk about this job. It could be some good fun.

Good thinking... I just got a call from yardley PA, which is way out of my turf. Looks about and hour from Warren. Is that too far from you?

Pittsburg is unlikely. Not much for me there. But look me up and let's talk about this job. It could be some good fun.

While I normally wouldn't turn down work offers, it's a bit far out and the Lanternfly concerns will have me pass on Yardley (and I have enough on my plate as is to get done b4 the snow starts to fall). The only reason I'm doing the one near you is because it's family. See PM, and we can talk soon.

They don't seem to migrate as far. As it's potential for species damage is potentially much greater (depending on the tree type), so it is definitely a concern. The following website gives more info on it (they started most likely out of the Philadelphia ports, and have not migrated as far or as fast as EAB, as seen by the maps and timelines):

https://spottedlanternfly.com/

When I was at my relative's sizing up the job, these nasty little things were everywhere, but not flying much. You would go to touch/smack them and they would jump more like crickets; wierdest thing I've seen in a winged insect.

Back