Climbing 101

To advance and retrieve my rope, both overhead and sideway, or any combinations of that, I use a telescopic fishing pole, pocket model. That's compact enough when folded and isn't too much annoying on the saddle. But it enhances my hand reach by 5 m (16.6 feet), even in the very cluttered crowns.
A S shaped hook is hot glued (for repairs) at the tinny end to hold or catch the rope. It's wonderful to go higher, to the next limb, co-leader or tree and to progress along the very long limbs. And that with a nice precision positioning.

An amazing tool for me, energy saver, time saver, infuriation/frustration saver. That's simple, I couldn't do this job at a pro level without it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My last order of gear, I was looking for something small to add to get free shipping. I considered a telescoping hook, but the one on TreeStuff didn't seem long enough to make a big difference. I like the idea of a 5m extension much more. I'll have to keep my eyes open for something I can repurpose for the task.

I loved the grunting when he started throwing stuff in the video but by the end I was half hoping he would hurt himself because it was just so stupid.

My last order of gear, I was looking for something small to add to get free shipping. I considered a telescoping hook, but the one on TreeStuff didn't seem long enough to make a big difference. I like the idea of a 5m extension much more. I'll have to keep my eyes open for something I can repurpose for the task.

I you are talking about the Stein Mini-Reach Retriever, I too at first thought it wouldn't be long enough, but like you, used it to fill out a small order to get the free shipping. I've used it at least 2 dozen times I can think of, and it has saved me countless episodes of frustration when something was just a few inches to a foot or so out of reach. It fits nice on the saddle and has never gotten hung up in all my trips to the canopy. Just my $0.02.

I too like the stein telescopic hook, but I've managed to destroy two of them, pulled them apart where the sections join.
Very, very handy to have that wee bit extra reach.

I've broken mine many times.
Actually, I had two of 3 m (one is still there as a back-up), and I'm with the fifth of 5 m. Each one was repaired several times.
It's a very thin wall of fiber glass, way too thin. I don't mind to put some more money in it if they would make a model with a decent thickness, but the motto is make it the cheapest as possible, as often.:X
I rarely broke them with rope usage/positioning though. It's because I abuse them with other tasks, like pulling hangout limbs or breaking dead wood. It's very strong (for such a thin thing) with a pure in line pull, but very fragile if it becomes bent when the limb rotates over itself or more often if the pole is pushed against an other limb for example.
Each time, I promise myself to no more abuse it, but it's soooo handy...:D

We always hurt the ones we love!!!! :lol: i have the cheap non stein one, i don't use it a lot but it is super handy when i do! The epple hook removed a bunch of the need tho, and i use my handsaw a bunch.

I like to canopy anchor an Alpine butterfly on a quickie cinched with tail for retrieval. When I know I may use more than a CPL natural redirects I will tye an another Alpine butterfly a few feet under my anchor with a pinto to help reduce friction on retrieval.
That and a long lanyard with a pinto and prusik to go either srt or drt usually gets it done if there's no adjacent trees to anchor to nearby.

Ah don't lie boss, two under one over tautline is your go to! Mower, i use the same, but i use a friction saver instead, and just a carabiner to clip in the loop for safety. I don't have an extra pinto or a quickie, so it works for me:)

Back