Oregon 91VXL

Last year Oregon sent me a chain to use and give feedback. If it's this one, it sure is a very good chain.

I use it daily for the past few years, I bought a bunch of it. It is a weird chain imo. Out of the box, in hardwood, it acts like the rakers are way too low. You have to cut just right with it to prevent it chattering or grabbing as well as stopping dead in the cut from grabbing.

Spellfeller mentioned the same thing somewhere here awhile back

I don't like it. As said above, it's chattery, and I'm not a fan of Oregon chain anyway. I think they make it from recycled beer cans. The steel's too soft.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did a comparison on a Stihl 200 a couple years back when it came out.
Compared it on two Stihl chains and a few others.
I did not test it in very hard wood. I think it was birch. I have since then run it in dry elm that is about as hard as we can find here.
Out of the box I think it may be a bit grabby, especially on lower rpms, but after filing and shaping cutter better its very comfortable to run even in hard wood.

I don't like it. As said above, it's chattery, and I'm not a fan of Oregon chain anyway. I think they make it from recycled beer cans. The steel's too soft.

I know what you mean. I think there is a reason for it. It makes filing a bit easier.
Have you ever tested the "M" chains?

I don't think so. The only Oregon chain I've used either came on the saw, or bought off the shelf as a one-off. I stick with Stihl chain for "good" cutting, and Carlton for beater duty.

I don't like it very much. Its so grabby, really bad on the last pruning cut at the trunk. When you get into any wood with strong grain or at all twisted, this chain is not good.

I know many that say the same about Stihl's chains.
Its a matter of preference as both can work. We are all different in our preference for various reasons.
Kind of irritating for some as they need multiple chains home to please customers.

I run the Stihl super picco, PS, on my 2511. The Oregon crap that came it hit the trash. Grabby, soft metal. Buhbuye.....
I did reshape the takers and touch the teeth. Still not as good.

I have pm on my 2511. Aside from a couple odd loops, I've settled on semi chisel chain on all my saws. I end up in a lot of dirty stuff, and the semi chisel seems to hold up a bit better. I don't do enough cutting, clean or otherwise to appreciate full chisel speed.

I adhere to the Kiss philosophy and run STIHL RS 3/8 .050 on 60cc and up and PS 63 3/8 .050 lo Pro 50cc and down ... has served me well for years ... STIHL chains are of superior steel and harder Rockwell - I’ve used STIHL chain on Husky bars and it eats them up somethin fierce !

I don't like the 91 Oregon, starts out way too jumpy. Stihl chain is way better, but chain speed, engine power, and AV properties also affect how jumpy it is. I use it a lot, but would much prefer to be using Stihl chain.

I never touch a raker until tooth is about half done. It cuts slower and increase wear and vibrations if I do. That goes for pretty much all chain models and brands.

Sharp chain create less friction, vibrate less and use less power/cutter.
Many think there is a limit to how good/sharp they can get a chain. I still haven't found any limit.

Sharpness is virtually infinite, but it needs to be tuned for the task. You can get to a point where it's too sharp, and it just dulls faster. That applies to anything that cuts. There's also a time cost. Sharper takes longer. I don't stress it. I'm not racing or anything, and I'll be sharpening again soon anyway. I do a competent job, and there's certainly room for improvement, but it's good enough. IMO, better than good enough is wasting time.

Magnus if you were cutting eastern USA hardwoods with this chain, like aptly-named Rock Maple, aka Sugar maple, what would you do with this chain? Let it chatter and grab and bounce until you have filed off enough of the cutters every nite for 2-3 weeks even thought the cutters weren't dull until finally the tooth is short enough to be less grabby after one quarter to one third of it has been filed away?

I seen the same thing this guy I know does here.

I did more though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KF6DPfTElIw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here was mine. Year 2011. New chains not touched up or square filed. As bought.

Year or 2 year old dry 8x8 aspen cant. Just a 35cc poulan 3516 used to keep stock small saw usage.

Oregon 91 safety 10.96 and 10.90

Oregon 91 full skip 11.09 and 10.65

Carlton N1 9.28 and 9.06

Stihl 63PS3 7.31 and 7.56

Windsor 50R 10.34 and 9.93

Oregon VXL 10.03 and 9.41

thanks.

I don't bore a whole lot with a small saw so I'll go PS3, right?

And as CV mentioned above, the Oregon 91vxl is soft metal, gets dull even from cutting clean wood.

I check rakers every time I file. Heck seen new chain need adjusted.

Back