Tree Felling Workshop

Graeme McMahon

Treehouser
IMG_2800.jpg
The Fallers (left to right) Jack Balsamo, Mathew Spencer and Hunter Mathieson

The workshop focus was to hone the skills of qualified and experienced tree fallers in arboriculture and forest industries. Content included; legal framework for workplace safety, practical OH&S manuals, identify (hazards, lean of a tree, lay of the forest and where to start), the danger zones, 4 methods of felling a tree, correct wedging, “reading” stumps to alter (hinge, step height, scarf opening and depth), practice alternative methods of scarfing, escape route placement, fatigue management/ saving energy, additional hazards of fire killed trees, dealing with production pressure, how to be an effective trainer/ mentor and more.

Yes, pacing one's self to avoid fatigue is crucial.

I don't know if I can do the rest of it, but I have the right ax, so that's a start.

That is all something I cover during an apprenticeship.
Important stuff, all of it.

IMO fatigue management is a key fundamental. It goes to working efficiently and smoothly = less wasted effort.

Graeme, your list of workshop content would not range far from one taught by D.D.Dent, or that of the USFS S-212 sawyers certification class. As you say, around the world skilled sawyers will hue closely to these same concepts and principles.

Stig's comment reinforces this, as one would expect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Graeme, your list of workshop content would not range far from one taught by D.D.Dent, or that of the USFS S-212 sawyers certification class. As you say, around the world skilled sawyers will hue closely to these same concepts and principles.

Stig's comment reinforces this, as one would expect.

Thanks Burnham, I didn't know that but says I'm on the right track. Fallers the world over have a lot in common. :thumbup: Stig

Oh, preserving the knowledge and lore of hand falling method in the face of increasingly popular and more economic mechanical methods. Not easy today.

The terrain is the all limiting factor separating the two, and the hand faller is being chased by the machines ever further into steeper and more difficult ground to work. You got to be smart as Superman, and near as strong, to stay alive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, preserving the knowledge and lore of hand falling method in the face of increasingly popular and more economic mechanical methods. Not easy today.

The terrain is the all limiting factor separating the two, and the hand faller is being chased by the machines ever further into steeper and more difficult ground to work. You got to be smart as Superman, and near as strong, to stay alive.

Hey Gerry, well said. We are on the oppisite side of the world and some things are the same. Just got home from 7 weeks away and got a call from one of my main contractors. No rest for the wicked I guess.

VIDS, Graeme, VIDS!!! Pictures at LEAST for the love of everything that is good and decent!!! At LEAST get up some pics my good man.

Back