MasterBlaster - Explosives in Treework

One of my ex- roommates talked about the BLM doing this in campgrounds to get dead top out the way. People did not complain as much about a tree with the top "blown" out (whether by wind or explosives) as they did about a big flush cut stump!

We had a huge hollow tree on a fuels-reduction project in Lake Tahoe. Hollower than they wanted us to cut, so they said to build a burn pile around it, and it would turn into a big,burning chimney and fail at the base. Woulda been a sight to see, flames shooting out of of knot-holes and whatnot. All happened in the deep of winter, so I missed it. Talk about a Swedish Fire Log!

After the last big round of bushfire this year in Tasmania , there were warnings on the radio that people would hear explosions as they were getting rid of dangerous trees in the Huon area...too dangerous to manually fall so BOOM!
Same area where the tallest flowering tree 'centurion' is located, a Euc regnans. It got burnt quite badly but should survive, they had a whole team down there trying to protect it, if they hadn't it would have been toast for sure.

We had a huge hollow tree on a fuels-reduction project in Lake Tahoe. Hollower than they wanted us to cut, so they said to build a burn pile around it, and it would turn into a big,burning chimney and fail at the base. Woulda been a sight to see, flames shooting out of of knot-holes and whatnot. All happened in the deep of winter, so I missed it. Talk about a Swedish Fire Log!
That would have been badass to see!
After the last big round of bushfire this year in Tasmania , there were warnings on the radio that people would hear explosions as they were getting rid of dangerous trees in the Huon area...too dangerous to manually fall so BOOM!
Same area where the tallest flowering tree 'centurion' is located, a Euc regnans. It got burnt quite badly but should survive, they had a whole team down there trying to protect it, if they hadn't it would have been toast for sure.

Noble indeed!

Back