The History Of Aprons

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
The History of 'APRONS'
I don't think most kids today know what an apron is. The principle use of Mom's or Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids..
And when the weather was cold, she wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, she walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about aprons.
REMEMBER:
Mom's and Grandma's used to set hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

Attachments

• 71294968_10218158503366540_7203176122698170368_n.jpg
    71294968_10218158503366540_7203176122698170368_n.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 62
Is that your grandmom? Mine probably wore an apron, but she died when I was about 3. Can't hardly remember her. I think my mother may have worn one on occasion, but if so, it wasn't enough to leave a lasting image.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, but she could be... I never had a real relationship with my Grandparents. They passed when I was young.

Trust me - Your Grandma wore an apron!

Thanks for that, Butch! It kindled some fantastic memories of my Grandma and her apron. My Grandma was a huge part of my life and more important to me than any other family member. She had many aprons that all served their own purpose and she always wore one. They were all embroidered with beautiful flowers and crocheted around the edges. You could tell how busy she was by how dirty the apron was! She even wiped our runny noses with her apron.

I thought this was going to be about language drift and how an apron was originally called a napron . Over time the word settled to it's modern version. Same story with uncle, originally nuncle.

This is the kind of thread that makes the TreeHouse great.

Yeah... it was awfully eerie.. true high plains drifter... Wilbur Washington... followed by the military gun salutes...

Butch... Sorry for being Tardy in my response.

I need another brain like a double Pentium up in here...

I remember my grandmas apron, white with lace trim. I miss her and her cooking worlds best scalloped potatoes and ham.

I was fortunate to know my great grand folks on my grandmothers side. I remember my great grandpa asking my to bring him a bottle of booze but I was in the fourth grade and really had no clue about booze. And he would scare the shit out of us with his dentures.

My paternal grand mother died when I was maybe three but I remember her well .Being the oldest grand child I am the only who does remember her .I think my maternal grandmother died at around 94 years old .Tough old gal, split wood when she was over 80 years old .They both wore aprons and did my mother fact even Dar wore one some times .

My Grandfather was a Nazi.

So all of you wishing you'd known yours, be careful what yos

Back