Stump grinder?

Ok thanks, agreed, a more technical qualification would have been an asset.

As I often tell my nephews, the older you get the narrower your options, not that they listen of course. I didn’t at the same age (or indeed any age!)

Still the same, Butch. I wished I had got mine as well. My son has his private pilot license . Cool to have a pilot in the family. We flew an hour, landed on a grass strip, and walked across the road to a diner. Nice meal and flew back as it was getting dark.

Still the same, Butch. I wished I had got mine as well. My son has his private pilot license . Cool to have a pilot in the family. We flew an hour, landed on a grass strip, and walked across the road to a diner. Nice meal and flew back as it was getting dark.

Ahh! The infamous $100 hamburger. OR maybe it's $200 these days.

Zero complaints on durability as I had basically used all the destructive skills learned over a decade of logging to try and send mine to an early grave and still it just kept on going.

;)

How do you put that in your bid? But yes that sounds like a better plan for now. Ty nutball

I found this, it could be a place to start, but this is for stump only customers who want an idea of the cost

STUMP GRINDING -
- $75 minimum (could be less if several need grinding)
- $2.00 per inch of the diameter. (This rate is meant to give you a general idea, however things like rocks around the stump that need to first be removed, proximity to property like fences, foundations, height of the stump all can have an effect on the final cost).
- $50 / hr for "high root chasing"

price per inch is and arithmetic dollar versus exponential volume increase. 2" measures in one direction. Volume is a measure of three-dimensions.

The bigger the stump, the worst the pricing for the biz, the better the value to homeowner (way cheaper).

You have to know your species. Willow versus cherry versus doug-fir versus oak. Not winning at one price fits all species.

Soil varies quite a bit, from native loam in one part of town, to glacial outwash in lots of the area (ROCKY), to 6" of topsoil in the new subdivision.

Price per inch never really works out - too many variables. It's akin to charging a TD according to how tall the tree is.

How do you bid to chase roots out? That inch thing won't work out...

Not my method, I just found it online. I've known others to measure stumps. I'm better at eyeballing the value of trees and stumps. Anyway it's a start when also considering the rental cost and what a person needs hourly and such.

Species is another factor.

I’ll charge less for a stump if it’s an add on to a TD, but more if it’s a stand alone job.

Ok, great thing about grinding is you can dress lightly.

If the temp was so bad that you’d need a blower for the operator to keep cool, I’d be worried about the air cooled engine.

I blow the fins out regularly.

Blow the dust away!!

I wear a cartridge respirator, when dusty, and/ or water the soil down heavily.

I've definitely used a pop-up canopy. I ground a huge redwood, one day, all day, with a Rayco Superjr. Its got a reflective coating underneath, and keeps the immediate area a bit cooler, beyond just standing in the shade. Adjustable legs lets you tilt it.

TBH, anytime I see someone standing is the scalding sunlight grinding a stump - I wonder about their IQ. The same with crane operators!

That looks like an awesome setup, Raj! :beer:

Thanks! Been a good unit over the years. I need to redo the umbrella part but a few more zip ties and back in the running.

First day out with the rg55 and the cylinder that controls the steering blew apart. Simple fix and back to grinding later that day. It didn’t give me a lot of confidence because it’s the same dealer that sold me the dingo that had so many problems. I’ve been out with it many times since and everything is running great. It’s a pretty good grinder. Fuel efficient. Done some big stumps with it. Haven’t had to sharpen teeth yet. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Back