Chipper engine choice: Gas or Diesel?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump

So, ran a similar test last Friday on the M15RX/1621 models (145HP GM gas and 122HP Cat Diesel). As the throat and drum on these are bigger (16" x 21" vs 14" x 15" throat, 23.75 in. wide x 21-3/8 in. diameter vs. 21 in. diameter x 14-1/4 in. wide drum), they both were able to handle larger brush clumps/logs, and the added ~200 lbs of pulling force was noticeable, especially on the logs. Thankfully, the log sections I had were longer and less knotted, so no stall like the previous ones. Similar to their little brothers, the diesel outperformed the gas. The M15RX unit is larger (1 foot longer, 1700lbs heavier), but seeing the performance difference and the types of jobs I have booked and foresee (lots of big limbs and smaller trees), as well as the 14' chip body I'll be filling on the chip truck, it makes it the right call for hitting the ground running. The final price definitely exceeded my initial limit, but seeing how much I'll be able to get done with this unit (and for the many years it will be put to use), the money I'l generate with it will cover my financing arrangement.

Final config (bailed on the ChipSafe and added the winch):

Morbark M15RX/1621 chipper
122.5HP Perkins Pacific Diesel motor
16"x20.5" throat
Dual knife, 23.75 in. wide x 21-3/8 in. diameter drum
3400+lbs of feed wheel pull force
16.5' long x 8.8'high x6.9' wide
7200 lb curb weight
Mounted 10 traffic cone holder
5000lb winch w/150' - 3/8' rope and chafe guard
32 gal. fuel capacity
13 gal. hydraulic fluid reservoir

Thanks to all for the input/feedback, and I'll post a pic once delivered.

Last edited:
:rockon: if you don't cringe when you buy equipment, you spent too little :lol: sounds like an absolute beast!!!! Now some amsteel blue and the chipper friendly hook and you are set

That winch Will save many more injuries than the Chipsafe will. Winching big pieces avoids lots of hand-feeding.

Does your winch require the line to be stowed to operate the feed-wheels?

Okay, finally some time to catch up. The chipper was delivered this past Wednesday, and it's been put to work. It's an absolute beast, chomping up 15"+ diameter maple & apple logs with barely any feed wheel reversals. This bad boy will be the primary for all the take-downs/prunings coming up, reducing the majority of waste to easy to dispose of chips (and I've got reservations for the first five truckloads full; SCORE!!!!!!)

View attachment VID_20191025_171145.mp4

Attachments

• IMG_20191023_132847.jpg
    IMG_20191023_132847.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks, Sean, I do know about it. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 local dumps that are ridiculously cheap for chip disposal, so it's easy to roll it into the job price. Also, I'm amazed at how many friends/customers want them for mulch on their properties. It will be interesting to see their faces when I dump my full chip truck (~21 cubic yds), as many of them have asked for multiple truckloads... :D

Back