Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipper engine choice: Gas or Diesel?

I'm hydraulically-challenged, but learning all the time.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

As am I, my brother though is very good at this stuff (supplies and fits auto steer systems to tractors)

He’s the smart one.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

TreeHouser Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mick! View Post
    Fairly simple really Sean, a sensor shuts down the hydraulic infeed under a certain revs (usually of the cutter wheel where it has a speed sensor) Itís all spool valves and stuff.

On tickover most machines will be able to turn the rollers outwards but not inwards for safety reasons.
    That's what I have on my small chipper. A magnetic sensor is triggered by a steel star mounted on the cutter's shaft. An electronic module counts the pulses and activate an electric valve on the inward hydraulic hose (which is fed by the main manual hydraulic distributor "out-stop-in-stop"). If not activated the valve sends the oil directly to the tank. If activated, the oil under pressure goes to the motor of the infeed roller. The electric valve is bypassed by a one way valve allowing the flow in reverse, so the infeed roller can still turn backward even if the cutting rotor is slowing and shutting down the supply of the inward flow.
    That's a neat feature because if you notice that the engine is bogging down by a chunk jamming the rotor, you can quickly put the roller in reverse and try to extract the offender, even if the feeding is already shut. That can save you the trouble of opening the cutting chamber and freeing the rotor, which is a real pain on some chippers.

Square peg, round world. Dave Shepard's Avatar

A friend bought a gas Bandit 250 size with a small block Chevy. Haven't heard reports yet. Sounds great.

Thanks, Marc-Antoine, for that explanation.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    I'm hydraulically-challenged, but learning all the time.
    It's like learning a whole new language. Thank the gods I have a place within an hours drive that can speak it and carries the parts. All the different washers, connectors and fittings are wizardry to me.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Posting to keep relevant. Also, has anybody had experience w/the Morbark Chip Safe feature? Good/bad/whatever? Thanks again.
    Rope!?!? We forgot the rope?!?! Oh well....

I have not but I see it as just one more thing to go wrong. Nearly all of the problems I've had with my Morbark M12R have been related to the "safety" features.
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Yep , I've wondered about that and resultant effect on production. Even the autofeed breaks.

Chip-safe is using gloves and anklets to keep guys from getting pulled in the chipper while doing unsafe things.