Best rope puller

Frankie

I Build and Run Ported Saws !
Looking for a come-along style rope puller with 150 ft rope to assist in pulling down dead ash ... any suggestions appreciated !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha ! 2-man operation here ... dead ash (?) to climb ... planning on using homemade compressed-air throw-bag launcher to get the rope in tree and from there anchor to another tree and use rope puller for added safety ...

Maasdam Rope Puller. Tho I have eyed and drooled over the Rope Jack but I really never need to use a rope puller, only for cabling the last several years, many actually. They work well but are slow to uptake with either choice. What you pullin?

A few good sized dead ash trees ... Home Depot has the maasdam puller but only comes with 20 or 50 ft of rope ... I’d like 150ft to cover all situations....I don’t mind spending the coin on a suitable rope just not sure what 1/2rope wood be best (strength /low stretch) thanks

TBH, I've never worked with a treeco that used one... not a one in over 35 years. I remember a couple of them had something like that in the shop, but never OTJ.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MsGX3xoxMjM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> ... this should get the t-bag up in the tree lol

I forget the maker but I use safety blue three strand. It's a polyester three strand with the core strands of each three strand is blue dyes poly not a tremendous amount of stretch, good knotting, wears like iron. I use 120' and 200' depending.

Ok I’ll research it ... it looks like the maasdam requires a 3strand rope ... thanks for the input !

3 Strand or 12strand(or so I've read and have never use myself)
It's nice having a cheap donkey three strand to abuse in the arsenal.

I use 12 strand for my maasdam and it works great. Sometimes piggyback it on some mechanical advantage.

I forget the maker but I use safety blue three strand. It's a polyester three strand with the core strands of each three strand is blue dyes poly not a tremendous amount of stretch, good knotting, wears like iron. I use 120' and 200' depending.

I use 12 strand for my maasdam and it works great. Sometimes piggyback it on some mechanical advantage.

Cool beans thanks ! @ Jonny Anyone local where I can get the whole package or just the 150’ rope ? ... 2 of em like this , drop, chunk , turn into firewood on location ...

As far as I know there’s no arb supply shops in our area, closest is probably the Vermeer dealer in Albany and I’m not 100% sure they sell climbing or rigging stuff, just that many Vermeer dealers do.
Everything I got gets ordered online.
If you’re interested I got a new Red w white tracer 150’ 1/2” 12 strand I’ll part with for what it cost, I forget the make, but I got 300’ and cut it in half, and it’ll probably be a long time before I need to use the other half. Came from eBay for .50c a foot, was either Canada or US made.
I’ll bet Brocky or someone could ID it if I put a pic up. Feels like True Blue, pretty heavy and stretchy. PM me if you’re interested.

Just checked it out on treestuff - seems like a reasonably priced kit for the scoots - should work well for this application! Thanks for the shortcut

Massdam continuous puller for the win.
If you buy the kit, get the 200 foot hank.
Now cut off 50 feet of it so you have a 150' hank for pulling the tree, a 50 foot to run through the puller. Fashion a prussik to grab the 150 hank and fix a biner to the end of the 50 foot. Tun the 50 foot through the puller instead of a larger hank that you will regret getting around with. Faster set up and take down, also; you will be able to capture the tail of the actual pull rope should you need to reset the pull for more travel. Or if you need to add a pulley to the prussik for a quick 2:1 if needed.
Personally, I buy the kit, cut the 150 hank into 3 and but another 300 feet of the 3 strand. But I have tall trees here.
1/2 " Sampson hard lay tree master. Takes a kicking and keeps on ticking.

I'm a three-strand tree-master fan for some jobs.

If you taper the end of the rope and tape it, it will feed into the Maasdam easier.

I use the end of whatever length of rope I'm using, put it through the Rope-puller, then use the standing end to place a running bowline around the tree, and connect the Maasdam midline with a girth-hitch or bowline-on-a-bight.

You don't have to attach the rope to the tree with the end. You can tied midline, and have less rope to pull through, then back out backwards, using the two levers to disengage the pawl mechanisms. No need to pull all the rope through the puller.

You could get a bunch of guys to pull a rope, with no progress capture, and them working against each there, without knowing how much they can pull, or buy a simple machine.

Pre-loading with a stretchy rope can be good for pulling trees, solo, but not if they're barberchair prone and you don't understand finesse.

Never used a rope come along, but I've got some tree master rope, and i absolutely love it. Hands down the best natural crotch rigging rope I've ever used, it seriously wears like steel cable (aka almost indestructible). It has some bounce to it being three stand, and obviously twists, but i love it. My 5/8 is literally about as strong as 3/8 steel cable, which is awesome.

Thanks Rajan.
I am a big believer in finesse over force. There are times you need a fast pull, but most we do are a coordinated effort between faller and puller with the continuous puller.
Adding tension when needed as signaled by hand or radio. Backing each cut up with wedges. We use stable braid on more static pulls, 3 strand when we want to store some energy. 300 feetofdouble braid will also stretch and store energy. Three strand just pulls through conifers better for me. Less grabbing by the bark platelets.
Here is another one I could not find last night Frankie. The camera was close to the LZ and the pull line. Better visual.https://youtu.be/fzMW-cif1iw

Maasdam puller with 200’ ordered this morning ... thanks for all the help , I appreciate it !

Back