what do you think of this cut?

I've thought about strapping under the cut to keep the whole root system intact, but never had the need to try it.
Don't put money on it. Straps are good against barberchair or split (see death circle) because the trunk opens laterally, enhancing its apparent diameter. With the root pull, I see that more as a lengthwise slide, so the diameter stays almost the same. More, the stump has a conical shape so It would be hard for the strap to hold on the main part when the small one becomes airborne.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't put money on it. Straps are good against barberchair or split (see death circle) because the trunk opens laterally, enhancing its apparent diameter. With the root pull, I see that more as a lengthwise slide, so the diameter stays almost the same. More, the stump has a conical shape so It would be hard for the strap to hold on the main part when the small one becomes airborne.

If you are into the root flare, then there is going to be a tendency to have the strap slip off. But you could always cut well above the flare so its not an issue. The only trees I've seen around that have much of a tendency to pull roots, are ones have segmented trunks, such as large mulberry. I'm pretty sure the strap would work in such scenarios. The trees aren't that big out here

7'@150' put binders over root swell.
Found these samples of ya never know;
Trees only chase water etc. so deep into oxygenated non-anaerobic conditions.
These are purposely even shallower from life of over available water not challenging roots wider and deeper for feeding one heavier, wider, lower anchor root base mechanically.
Then loose ground in wet conditions from hurricane.
Placing immense leveraged felling forces on a point anchor pulls into unseen anchor and history etc.
Single trees , in dream green grass, fertilizer pushing growth, compacted/construction ground,
AND over availability of water
from canopy not kept wide and pointing low to trail water away from tree as far as possible to draw roots wider for stability, food, reduce competition etc. As well as local conditions and sprinkler making water over- available under canopy. Probably dream green grass competing all the way to volcano mulch as exact opposite of Nature, mulch only over where ramped root crown should be.
shallow%20roots%20by%20drain.JPG

Row%20of%20trees%20on%20fence%20line%20of%20retention%20pond%20fell%20over.jpg

storm%20view%20001.jpg

Imperial%20Lakes2.jpg

Shallowing%20rooting%20at%20Ruths3.jpg

The one with fence was 3days after storm, no wind conditions and just let go.
Lots of stories like that at the time.
Mostly trying to show shallowness of roots , and low circumference of reach.
>>low leverage reach and thereby less bound weight as well.
But still, always dealing to blind hand, looking for clues to the possibilities of the worst.
I've felt the Earth move below my feet before, busted unseen pipes from underground root movement with no apparent ground disturbance etc.
No pix of them under fire tho, wasn't like now.

Based on that bit of wisdom shared by Jerry B., I used the concept to reduce the force on trhe hinge of this horizontal limb. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-gf35FyPBhE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THANK YOU Jerry!

Very nice, done this lots; less stress on final hinge as said.
>>sometimes easier for it to slide off lowers some for even less hinge stress, or crutch push off lower branch on left to push to right side in tandem with hinge commands..
>>also, feeding peel to side, doesn't feed directly into fiercest pull of gravity down, as piece folds to side some rather than pure down i think for more hold time on peel
Can banana peel back over fence, then slide pieces free off lowers under them, then into clear zone.
>>less drop before ground contact and is to springy end
>>when feeling real good, done a number in that tree, sometimes peel fast enough to let go (straight down on this trick), spring load tip on roof to make it jump off away from house
>>gotta feel like everything working rite on that tree, on that day, at that temp etc. for that!
>>but once get it can really move along w/o rigging for jsut ends over roof, peel back and free drop rest or rig meaty weight ; more clear of roof
To me are adjusting CoG and horizontal clearance too(lose some vertical clearance tho, as now have tail to drag with).
Sometimes, just do 1 side of fork to throw pull to other side.
>>sometimes you want leveraged pull so much as to fold down left fork to you, sling on each fork krabbed together
>>cut left free, to put even more weight to right fork, and left horizontal now clear
>>can leave left stob long enough to bring rig line from high right, over left stob then under to right fork for more of a torqued turn forced my more values right
(sometimes with sling/krab on left fork as guide/keeper, but allows line pull freely)
Always carried bunch of slings/krabs (once on board with it, had to force self to take upstairs every trip to find things to use for at first as maybe one of the best things i ever did); 1 fave usage was re-setting CoG in dual fashion of not just relieving left pull, but then also putting weight on right as double usage of the same force.
>>thought of as using the yin AND yang by this double usage of the weight to make not singular, but compound, more pivotal change in target CoG pull direction out of whatever hook trying to avoid.

Thanks, Daniel!. That's good knowledge to share, and Kudo's to you for sharing.

thank you ! you shared it first. I just extrapolated. Got a call from a highly experienced and awesome climber I used to work with last night. We both agreed that when you see this type of trick, it seems simple and obvious and yet makes you wonder why we didn't figure it out sooner. I love learning concepts and tricks. That's one of the things about "fundamentals".. it always seems like there is something new to learn/extrapolate if you take the time to wrap your mind around the depth of the material.

Thanks treebilly and ya it worked here. It was already pretty short for the deck and the railing wasn' going to be hurt by a slight brush from the tips. So the rip cuts had already shortened the piece enough to clear the deck, so it was a set up, but good example for video.

Can banana peel back over fence, then slide pieces free off lowers under them, then into clear zone.
>>less drop before ground contact and is to springy end
>>when feeling real good, done a number in that tree, sometimes peel fast enough to let go (straight down on this trick), spring load tip on roof to make it jump off away from house
>>gotta feel like everything working rite on that tree, on that day, at that temp etc. for that!
>>but once get it can really move along w/o rigging for jsut ends over roof, peel back and free drop rest or rig meaty weight ; more clear of roof.

You're a trip Kenny. landing limbs tip first and allowing them to spring away from house and roof... That I have yet to try, but I just might get around to it... I did purposelfully roll a small hemlock off a garage roof once, knowing the branching structure would spread the weight out and it would harmlessly slide/roll off the roof...

Not everyday nor every wood stuff, very confident calls in no wind after playing with same wood that day, but nice easy ballet of spring loading limb tips against roof with downward sweep action just enough to jump off and away when can find it in shituation(defined as tough scenario), especially when tree kept mostly off house, kinda under 100# end trims to move along mite allow dead drop of then clear meaty pieces or rigging of same after reducing difficulty some. Kinda ticked 1 customer off as he shook head and walked away and said "..is that all i had to do?" as he walked away(yeah sure buddy that is all/nothing to it!?); heard clearly as that was only 1 story, looks more wild off 2nd/3rd story for sure, more grace as don't have to spring load as hard to get roll out/away on land. i watched for glass, but didn't get any real sitback when hit ground, roll motion obliged to continue away from house, but seems possible to sitback towards house if not enough flip in works when stiffer end hits ground after bouncing off softer end from/on roof.
Banana Peeling is one thing i was actually shown/and that was what it was called, made sense of CoG stuff later, sideways effects and 'leaf spring' etc. Mostly shown just to tilt down limb over fence to your side of fence and then cutoff learned to watch for flip back. But banana peeling is what they called it. Another visiting climber told me to watch the tension wood and tried to describe, i had no ode what he was talking about. Got walked thru first topping to hop over fence, by slamming face closed tho; don't think i woulda got that on my own. But by guys that didn't mind cutting knot off of end of rig line occasionally a/n; without much knotting sense. Was soon on my own.

Back