what do you think of this cut?

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b_fRVCbQbdE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

not good on big heavy limbs though it seems to work much better than an angled notch on many medium limbs up to 6" diameter.

Looks like it would be ok for an 'I'd rather have the limb over here, than there' kind of thing, but I wouldn't use it to miss something I didn't want touched, like that maple. I don't know what I'm doing, and am very conservative, so take that for what it's worth. AFAIC, all touch is bad touch, and aside from debris on the ground, I want it to look like the tree simply vanished when I'm done, without the smallest damage on neighboring trees/structures.

I'll try it but I'm not convinced that it's any better than a notch. Or even no notch at all, just a back cut.

It's different, but a properly positioned kerf undercut and a nice, slow properly angled topcut will do the same thing and pop it right off. Cool.

Sort of like the soft dutchman, I've used this cut before with pretty good success. I tend to make a series of deeper kerfs to initiate movement prior to backcut. I like doing that bc you can see the swing before you fully commit.

Daniel, I described the Bender cut in the 1996 edition of the Fundamentals, and later demode it in the Working Climber, Series 2, video set in 2010. It has a very good effect to shift the favor of a limb, or even a top, to where you want, and also allows the hingewood to bend and hold the work longer before breaking. All good points, which you covered, but hardly a new cut, my friend.

pL84mos.gif

Yup , been doing and teaching that for...hmmmm...16 years? Was taught it in College and then saw it again when I came across Gerry's videos and books.
Very useful technique for dismantling windblow too.

That was a good explanation of a commonly used technique. I will also agree that it is probably not specifically taught either. What is taught are the basics. That is really all that can be taught and it’s because the basics work for most of the average situations. Once you get beyond that, and as you stated, there are to many variables and each may require different techniques for the desired outcome. Anyhow thank you for sharing. The way you explain it can sink into someone’s head better than I might have explained it. Not all people learn the same.

I also agree with another comment that was made about the sycamore vs. the jap maple. It still brushed. A complete success involves “no touchy” in my book. One more undercut could’ve changed that. As you stated though it’s not an absolute technique.

Our success, and ultimate well being in this trade, rests largely on understanding wood fiber and the forces of tension and pressure that work upon it.

If you make it through your first 10 years in this business, with some humility, you just might succeed.

i remember anytime thought was getting good ; went to wall and stared at Gerry's 150' still 7' poster as over-ride
>>and just humbly hanging head low and going out and trying to do best i could.
In time shut many guys up in front of that poster after any mouth or attitude dared to try to attract attention
Please excuse me if i even/ever seemed to tell it any other way than being a (care-full)student, not stud!

I like mine!

Attachments

• a3.JPG
    a3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 49
  • a4.JPG
    a4.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 48
  • a5.JPG
    a5.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 50
  • a6.JPG
    a6.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 49
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 48
  • a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 47
Back in 95 when I was at college for 10 weeks learning just enough about this job to be dangerous, we took a buying trip to a local suppliers of arb stuff, that poster was up and we all gawped at it, imagining the forces compared to the piddling trees we were learning on.

I enjoyed the back story that Gerry told to August in that Vid.

‘You’re going to die in that tree Gerry Beranek!’ (Shouted by the town nutter in a cafe a few days before iirc)

i like guys thinking they seen all of poster after being placed in front of it several times;
Explaining what i've only read about the spring boards, showing the binding chains high and low and pointing out cast and story behind it..
Sometimes even a lil'anti-EPA rant looking at olde saw.
That was the kinda 1-2 poster had on us, real knock-out; and much more peace!
A guiding light sir, thanx!
(is he blushing yet?)

And he did it all with a cast on his right foot. When the folks in charge asked him to do the job he did not tell them he had a broken foot. He was afraid they might ask someone else to do the job...kept quiet and showed up for the job, cast and all!!!! :lol:

Frikkin' mad-man!!

1 man Chainsaw mainstream debut 50's thru 60's
Put luckily for us
Beranek and Dent leading the pack first in the timeline, and capturing it so in it's rawness to hand it down so...
i honestly can't conceive of any other(s) doing any better for us, straight up out of the box with da'chit in those times, truly pioneering in may ways!
Dr. Shigo, already up and running grabbing new toy to spiral deeper with research and already setup in professional training that lends to reporting
>>but still a phenomenon in his own rite, once again so lucky it was him investigating and reporting.
Also feel lucky to be in such a time of growth in climbing gear influenced by other professions and the advancements made in understanding rather than violating tree Nature.
Of course there's the being on the greatest tree forum in the world timing too!

Not a mad man Gary.

An experienced, highly capable bloke using his abilities to pull off a dangerous job.

Totally agree, Mick....superbly talented and experienced, confident enough of his expertise that he craved the challenge.

I guess the madness would be some of us mere mortals considering such a thing.

No matter how many times I see the pics, I’m still blown away every time.

Wonder where the lumber ended up, and how the boards looked. Wonder if those folks that own the boards know any of the history of it’s origins.

By Jer's own admission iirc, that tree went to hell on contact with mother earth. Not salvageable. But I'll defer to Jerry if he says differently today, of course.

Back