What3words.

Have you used it yet? Better than GPS or other nav methods? Don't really understand how that is an improvement over lat long coordinates, probably solves some problem I'm not clever enough to see.

Have you used it yet? Better than GPS or other nav methods? Don't really understand how that is an improvement over lat long coordinates, probably solves some problem I'm not clever enough to see.

Makes the location memorable, and easy to communicate over the phone, but I'm having trouble seeing how it applies to business. The client would need to know their 'word coordinates', and I don't see anyone knowing that.

Sorry Mick: Tried to read the link and my head exploded like, three sentences in.

I see what you did there :lol:

Btw, me too. I read it twice, no dice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Makes the location memorable, and easy to communicate over the phone, but I'm having trouble seeing how it applies to business. The client would need to know their 'word coordinates', and I don't see anyone knowing that.

I can see it being handy for tree mapping as it names an area of 3m square, for directions to a client, he just says I live at bear.gate.yolk I punch it in and voila! No multiple options or house or road name changes.

Basically (for Cory and Jed) they have divided the world into squares of 3meter by 3meter, and each square has three words to identify it, 56 trillion square apparently.

How does the client get their coordinates? Would you direct them to the website to hunt them down?

The emergency services here in the UK have started using this and many now include it on there site information just in case. It's a lot easier than an 8 figure grid reference to work with (a skill that takes time to teach) , providing that you have phone coverage of course.

How is this better than a normal address? 325 E Main St seems a lot easier than goat.magic.pastry

What am I missing?

Ya, some of them have 5 numbers. I punch it into the GPS and it tells me how to get there. I don't even have to think any more.

The addressing at our office is a disaster. There's ~10 places all with the same address, and a letter suffix, and all accessed by the same common drive. Good luck easily finding the house you want.

Locally, most street addresses are 123 Main St NW, Olympia WA 98502

Somehow, some people forget to say the direction (quadrant of the town, with main street running east /west or North/ south. Unless its going to be 123 Fourth Av West. From the dividing intersection, there will be 123 Main NW, 123 Main SW, 123 Main SE, and 123 Main SW.

GPS doesn't even have all the local roads, some of which have been there for decades. French Lane NW doesn't show up on Google. French Road NW, French Loop NW does.

At least people are good at giving directions with landmarks that don't exist, or say the third to last Left...Olympia!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is this better than a normal address? 325 E Main St seems a lot easier than goat.magic.pastry

What am I missing?

Lots of folk in the rest of the world don’t have regular streets, postcodes etc. This is great for that.

I worked in a town this year that had mostly number street names, but not intelligently, they had north and south numbers, then had north 11th north etc. Odds and evens weren't used for ns/ east west either. It almost seemed like they started good, but did more and more shots as the night went on and lost control of it lol. I feel terrible for the mailman and the emergency responders there, i don't know how many times they told me a street and i was on the other side of town

Somehow those seem like appropriate words for Mick's address.

So anyway, there are apparently more 3 word combos available than there are 56 trillion spots on the globe?

Hey its pretty cool, I'm here at kickass.freakin.treeguy

Who knew??

HaHaHa.

Locally, when they subdivide acreage, the original residence address won't change, and the new addresses are occasionally out of chronological order.

broadcasts.unleashed. credited...kinda harder with plurals and tenses.

What about a large plot with multiple trees and woodland?

Also address in Norway are often impossible to find even with the numbers and street name.

You would be able to see the correct tree at location: poortree.soon.dead

I am presently in my iPhone at - trim.cheater.beast

Here in Norway it isn’t uncommon for roads to be Named after the destination. The destination may be miles and miles away. So putting in Hellvikveien 123 might be obviously enough but 125 might be 2 km up the road. Or you may drive 5 miles and then come to 137. Some people have built house a 100m away from the road on a patch of land but not put any signage on the road side.

So much time wasted looking for a property. I can see the benefits of the 3 word system.

Back