What3words.

I just downloaded the app. It is pretty interesting. I have friends in countries such as Burma Myanmar that surely have hard to find villages in ethnic areas. This is an interesting concept.

I'm currently sitting here at unlit.discontent.brew burning off a pile of trash at our farm.

20190817_121625.jpg

Everyone should have a dragline in their backyard!!

Can somebody translate this to moron, please.

I simply have no idea what this is.

I did.

I still don't get it.

Must be stupid or something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok (nice to see you back Stig btw)

This company has divided the world up into 3 meter square pieces, each one of those squares has a three word name.

Adjoining squares do not have similar names.

Download it, it’s free (not Bob obvs as the Illuminati are after him)

But....but.......but............the 3 names for my house are in Danish.

That is sure going to make it easy for my wife's kids to find it, since they only speak Swiss German ( And French, Italian, English and German, but that is beside the point).

Honestly Mick, I simply don't get what makes this great.

Maybe we should just conclude that I'm a stuck in the mud oldtimer and let it lie.

It’s in different languages, It works in danish on your computer because you’ve downloaded it in Danish.

It’ll work in English or many other languages.

If you’re determined not to see it’s uses, then sure it’s stupid.

I'm not against it, I simply don't get it..
Just home from holiday.
Let me sit down and work with it, maybe I'll figure it out.

Stig, you have a tree to fell in a woodland that isn’t marked.

GPS co-ordinates are hard to remember. Each 3 metre by 3 metre block has a unique name consisting of three words. Words are easier to remember than co-ordinates.

You remember the words, follow the map on your smart device and you will get to the exact location... I.e. a 3 m square block in it with the tree you wish to work on.

If that really work, it'll make marking trees for felling and finding them afterwards way easy.

Let me talk to our map guy in the company about it and I'll get back to y'all.

56 trillion is a large #, I gather the number of 3 word combos is greater than 56 trillon?

Locally, most street addresses are 123 Main St NW, Olympia WA 98502

Somehow, some people forget to say the direction (quadrant of the town, with main street running east /west or North/ south. Unless its going to be 123 Fourth Av West. From the dividing intersection, there will be 123 Main NW, 123 Main SW, 123 Main SE, and 123 Main SW.

GPS doesn't even have all the local roads, some of which have been there for decades. French Lane NW doesn't show up on Google. French Road NW, French Loop NW does.

At least people are good at giving directions with landmarks that don't exist, or say the third to last Left...Olympia!

I had to tell google to remove a back road once since it no longer existed. One end was gated on private property, the other end turns to gravel off someone's driveway and heads steeply up into the woods, and I wouldn't be surprised if trees were growing in the middle of it.

I can see potential for third-world countries without proper address systems. But for me, why complicate something that works fine. If I'm understanding it correctly, my property has over 400 "addresses." Which one shall I use?

I was thinking the sofa in the living room would be good. I'll probably just stick with my postal address. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think it's a brilliant idea. Many of my job sites are in a cornfield in the middle of nowhere, places that don't have addresses, and the current pin dropping doesn't work between apple and android. I'm going to look into it more, especially if it's a gps coordinate system that works flawlessly between systems and is super easy to send info. If you can actually tell people 3 words and they can find an exact spot that's very impressive.

I was thinking the sofa in the living room would be good. I'll probably just stick with my postal address. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I understand the “it it ain’t broke...” mantra.

But if it makes it better, if it improves or simplifies things, or makes things cheaper or more accessible to everyone, isn’t that a good thing?

Do you remember when you were young and old farts would decry all modern stuff as pointless and unnecessary, because they were scared and stuck in their ways.

Did you ever swear to yourself that you wouldn’t be like that when you got to be old(er)?

Anyway, not having a go, just remembering my old boss, if he didn’t do it or use it when he was younger, it wasn’t worth doing.

Ie. Top handled saws, chippers, blowers, radios in the work truck, chainsaw oil (bought cheap engine oil) tipper trucks.

Mick, just to make it clear.
I didn't decry it, I simply didn't understand it.

Back