You're FIRED! (Just Venting)

frans

TreeHouser
First time in I don't know how long I fired a guy with extreme prejudice.

First he is an unskilled ground worker. But a fairly good brush mule, terrible at roping or chipping but sometimes you just need a mule. So I always figured to employ him for what he CAN do, not what I want groundi to do (which is to build them up in skills, more money etc etc). Like hitting a brick wall, guy just didn't get it.
Guy called me saying he is really broke and do I have anything extra for him to do?
I say sure come on over on Saturday I have 1/2 cord of split wood needing to be moved into the wood shed. 32' away (Yes I actually measured it lol)
Told him 120$, easy money.
Paid him cash when he arrived. I had to leave to bid jobs generate work.

Get home that evening, job not done!
WTF???

Now here is the awful funny part of this story

He told me that it was very hot and he felt that the money wasn't enough for the job. In addition, he said I didn't offer him any water. I said the garden hose was 3 feet away. He said he doesn't drink from garden hoses because they are filthy and he wouldn't let his dog drink from a hose.

I said, jeez, we just 12 months ago installed an entirely new well head, supply lines AND HAD OUR ENTIRE RANCH CERTIFIED ORGANIC! (We sell veggies to restaurants, farmers markets etc)
$25,000$$!

....a sawzall disappeared from the shop that day. DeWalt, used the day before, setting on a work bench in plain sight.

Try and help a guy... Jeez It's hard to not be a bitter ruthless employer. Fucker.

I have never blacklisted a guy, never went to other companies and said watch out for this guy, but this really tempted me.

.5 cord for 32'? I'd have felt like I was ripping you off for $120. Can't stand a thief. There's a good chance I'd have been at his house to collect my saw. It could go as easy or as hard as he wanted. I'm old enough at this point to not care.

You might’ve been employing a junkie. Purely speculation.
Fast cash in this biz will attract them though, along with potential of high dollar tools.

If he wanted purified, spring, reverse osmosis water he shoulda brought it. Grown ass man still needs mothering?

I’m sorry to hear this. FWIW I’d jump at the chance to work with you, along with a few others here. Maybe if all is still well when my little birds fly the nest (6 years) I’ll drop in an application.

Move .5 cord 32feet for $120 ? In NY we use face cord which is 4’x8’ by 16”-18” ... 3 face wood equal a full cord so if I have to move .5 cord or 1.5face cord 32” and STACK IT $120 is MORE than Fair ... 9-10 full wheelbarrow loads wood do the trick if my math is correct ... 2hr job if you move ... 4+hr drinking cold ones lol !

I bet he's not even in town anymore. You were his last chance to make some fast cash from stealing something, plus the bonus of you paying him, too.

I dislike thieves with a passion ! Lowest form of scum imho ... karma will catch up to this guy soon enough !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know where he lives. He is just lame. Lost a lot of work with me. Fool me once, etc etc

You should be shot for paying a known moron cash at the beginning of the job.

Shot? Paying first is perhaps a little foolish, but I don't know that it should be a shooting offence. The thief OTOH...

Cory is hardcore tho :/: :lol: that sucks, mainly for him, you dodged a bullet by getting rid of him before something bad happens. He only stole a sawzall (which i would want back), and didn't actually mess up your operation. Guys like that stay worthless, you can't fix them

Honestly, recently I clarified for myself, and realized how often I used the possessive (its) when I mean a contraction of "it is".

And was trying to be subtly clever for a good natured laugh.

Back