You're FIRED! (Just Venting)

It's played to my favour so far. He seems to choose his words/topics more appropriately around me. I don't mind if someone needs to vent a little. But don't be the broken record at work always spewing your personal shit.

I remember working in a factory situation, I found that little gripes and personal dislikes would fester and get out of proportion.

Being older (like Squish) is better as you’re more able show emotional intelligence.

I remember working in a factory situation, I found that little gripes and personal dislikes would fester and get out of proportion.

Being older (like Squish) is better as you’re more able show emotional intelligence.

That happens too easily, I think bosses should frequently seek their employees opinions on them and the business to avoid disproportionate bad feelings. It doesn't mean anything needs to be done differently, but at least everyone is on the same page and any feelings can then be justified.

Then it’s only fair the boss should be able to tell the worker his feelings about him.

Cue a lot of walkouts and fistfights.

It's just a job to me. But I see what Mick means about the drama that can develop. That said, one of the most enjoyable parts of this regular job is the social interaction. Yes you get a lot of interaction as a small business owner but it's not really a level playing field when it's a customer or an employee.

Yes, I could use a bit of drama, work is slim pickings atm, always the same in August, spend most afternoons lazing around with the dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quote Originally Posted by Mick! View Post

same in inter office situations.
I am surprised at the lack of more rampant killings around the water cooler

Then it’s only fair the boss should be able to tell the worker his feelings about him.

Cue a lot of walkouts and fistfights.

I agree, but people should be man enough to take it and work things out.

I too often wish for a perfect world

We are complicated social animals, there’s no way that we can be honest to people we are in close proximity to all the time.

Mid to late eighties I was a salesman in an office and on the road for a firm that sold all types of ferrous and non ferrous metal to engineering firms.

When I started it was all men in the sales office and all women in the accounts and admin roles.
Then the world began to change, and as a low level sales manager I learnt (or didn’t) that you just could not call a woman a liar or front her up about a mistake she had made as we were used to as men.

I didn’t last long for one reason or another.

We are complicated social animals, there’s no way that we can be honest to people we are in close proximity to all the time.

Mid to late eighties I was a salesman in an office and on the road for a firm that sold all types of ferrous and non ferrous metal to engineering firms.

When I started it was all men in the sales office and all women in the accounts and admin roles.
Then the world began to change, and as a low level sales manager I learnt (or didn’t) that you just could not call a woman a liar or front her up about a mistake she had made as we were used to as men.

I didn’t last long for one reason or another.

What didn't last long, women as sales people or being able front them up and call them liars?

Me in the job, lacking the social skills to adjust a changing work environment.

The women were just as good as the men.

I remember one particular incident, a salesgirl had stolen a sale from someone else, taken the call, and instead of passing it over to the sales person who had done the work and quote just took the order and marked it up as hers.

So I collated the paperwork, the original salesperson’s quote, time of call etc. and confronted her with it, she denied it and ran to the ladies room in tears, cue a rush of women rushing in to console and curse me. Wait five minutes and out they pour, one after the other giving me the evil eye. Half an hour passes before I get the call from the sales manager to go to the office.

He said that he couldn’t have this sort of thing happening, be more diplomatic etc.

Late eighties, the office dynamics were changing all over.

Back