Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Accident Thread - Stuff Gone WRONG!

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

We all understand that!
    Gary

Dodged a bullet!
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Student of the Jedi Sponsor treebilly's Avatar

I check the dripline almost daily. I’m supposed to get alerts but for some reason that’s not working. Keeps me up to date and brings up ideas for safety meetings. As of this morning it was 72 deaths and 48 injuries in the industry (reported). The woman tangled in a rope led to almost an hour long whole company meeting that included the Cal-line video and the incident video of Samauri Joe. Lots of talk about it being everyone’s responsibility to make sure this never even comes close to happening. Though I’m mostly bucket baby these days, the old school everyday climber in me still has very strong feelings about getting my tie in point broken out and quickly meeting a chipper knife.
    -Rich

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Gee-bus!!!

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

That last line gives me chills.....
    Gary

I put my chipper right under the tree, sometimes. NO ropes on the ground. Definitely have rigged whole sections, rig after rig, right onto the chipper tray. Aerial friction, and a rope where both ends don't reach the ground, winner-winner chicken dinner.

Sometimes just cut and chuck, skip the drag. NO ropes on the ground.

No plastic on my chipper. A piece of plywood leaned against the chipper covers the control panel and clutch lever, if I'm dropping on that side.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Naturarbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mick! View Post
    A close thing.

Felled this poplar stem, left the truck where it was as it was in the shade and the dog was in it.

Figured I had plenty of room to put it on the other stem on the ground to avoid too much lawn damage.

What I hadn’t accounted for is the bark shearing off at the impact point and the whole stem sliding almost frictionlessly forward to stop inches from the truck.
    di some eucs with my ground man up in the trees...he cuts n chucks a log,bounces on the ground on other pieces previoulsy dropped,up in the air,down 20cms next to open car door no pics avaliable sorry
    Last edited by Naturarbo; 1 Week Ago at 07:07 AM. Reason: missinf info

This thread has value and I probably will check it from time to time. For years on TB I checked a similar thread daily ... I always thought it helped me to stay aware. Eventually I quit doing it as I figure I'm well aware of the dangers and don't need bad juju in my head. My two favorites were the the large Tree in Atlanta that failed wholesale , onto the poor bastard putting in a price as he was sizing up the work. Killed him , Neva even bid the job. Other was the Tree Co. working roadside with full designated work area defined with Cones etc. , Some poor Schmo walking by with apparent mental problems decides to jump into the Feed Chute ! (My guess is Girlfriend problem) ... They shut it down and he survived.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Gotta link to that?

If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.