Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 088 hydrolocking

Default 088 hydrolocking

I've mentioned before how my one 088 with kick back and pull the starter cord out of my hand, tearing my shoulder and to ad insult to injury the handle will smash my other hand.

Coil and flywheel are good. Carb rebuilt tuned to factory settings. New decomp. Still did the same. Usually when cold. Once I get over the kick back it'll start. I thought it was a cold weather issue. Nope. Does the same in the hot weather. Only when first starting for the day.

I thought it might be an issue with my 088 but it does the same on the second 088 I have.

I'm thinking hydro lock.

Any input?
    Peter

Sounds too rich when starting? Use less choke or no choke. I had a wood splitter do that a lot, and what I found was that it was loading up on fuel, and I had to start it with no choke or as little as I could or I wouldn't get it started for a week. Not hydro locking, which literally locks the piston so you either can't turn the engine, or it bangs to an immediate stop right after it tries to fire up. But, it seemed to be getting too much fuel to start. I can't imagine, though, how that would happen to cause it to kick back as if the fuel burned so slow it smolders the first stroke, then flares up during the second with a fresh charge of air. I learned before stopping the engine I'd have to bring it to an idle first instead of the usual shutting it off from full throttle. The spark plug eventually got changed which had a huge gap, so I don't know if that was the problem, but it made starting easier.

I used to have a problem with starting a 661. I can't remember if it would ever kick back, or if it simply flooded, but I tried to use the choke as little as possible on it even if it meant more pulls.

Maybe try holding the decomp valve down while pulling or during half of the pull?

You mean its so wet inside it can't compress it?
    If so I bet plug get wet..

If not I think it ignites, perhaps a bit early.

Turn it of one and pull once, then try start it.
    If its flooded and plug is wet after one pull you know...

TreeHouser Sponsor

With an hydro lock, you can't pass the first comp, even move at all, it's a dead stop. I just got that on an engine, carb valve didn't work apparently and flooded the air filter and the cylinder with gas.

With an ignition too early, you can pull slowly the starter chord all the way out, no problem, just feel the successive compressions. But if you pull it to start, the engine turns a little and Bam, takes out the handle off your hand. The piston doesn't have the time to pass the top dead center before the full development of the explosion, so it takes a full hit and inverts its rotation. Painful.
    My big franken saw was a 065 with a 066 cylinder and did exactly that. It ran good but was painful to start. The problem came from the fact that the previous owner (or repair tech) put a 066 coil in it too. It isn't exactly the same coil's mounting points and the same flywheel setting. The ignition came too early. I had to pull really fast and strong to make it pass this bad point. Decomp valve didn't help a bit. It really hurts, I wrecked my right biceps with that (so, since this time, about 11 years ago, I always start my chaisaws with the left hand). After a few ouch, I was scarred in advance and can't pull it fast enough any more (more ouchys but still no start !). It took me a while to figure it out.
    I took out the woodruff key of the shaft and move the setting of the flywheel a bit (half the thickness of the key in my case to be precise). Not too much, otherwise it's easy to start but you loose a lot of power.

Great info.

I tried a different method. The saw travelled with the fuel cap loose. Decomp pressed in and the switch set to run. A few pulls on the cord. Switch to choke and start as usual. No issues today.

I'm thinking a partial hydro lock. I've noticed it only happens after the saw sits for a while. Fuel leaking into crank? Then sucked into cylinder? I've tried to hold decomp down before but it would still pop closed much to the discomfort of my finger.
    Peter

Are you pulling the cord out until you get a bit of resistance, then pulling over?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Yup.
    Peter

Is it possible that saw just doesn’t like you?

Both of them don't!

Edit: Sometimes, ok, often, I will store the 088 on the mill standing up. I wonder if that would cause my issue?
    Peter

What about emptying the fuel after use, idling it dry, then storing it. Test afterward.

IDK, just guessing at options. Since it's only the first run of the day, it might be a stop-gap measure.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.