Tie-off ideal for a wrecker?

Gigi...you ARE an Island Girl. Tides in our Chattahoochee?? hahaha...no worries there...constant flow, whatever it happens to be due to rainfall upstream.

Re: fire ladder truck...good question there...I did wonder about that, too. I have seen them use them horizontal to recover a body that was in a dump truck that ran into a retention pond. They called us on a Dec. night to recover the man but the FF's had their ladder extended and had just retrieved him when we got there.

My son is a FF...they are starting to check into buying a ladder truck for their city. I'll see what he can tell me about working off a horizontal ladder and how they are rated for that.

Re: SRT...I can see where it would be "cleaner" with rope deployment. The few times I did it the body positioning (no chest harness) was a problem. And I didn't have a Haas type leg device, just my one Pantin. I just haven't pushed on it yet. It'll happen soon.

Gary, you're shaped just right for SRT rope-walking. My rope-walker floating ascender for the last, about 8-9 years maybe, has been a handled Petzl ascender that was cut and drilled. No need for expensive stuff.

Ahh, body position, you're hanging off the same bridge ring/ point.?.?.?

SRT is like having the option for 4-hi, 4-low, and RWD. Jump on it!

4 wheel drives are cheaper than abusing and damaging a 2wd, pretending it's as capable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I swear I am going to do it....I have HH2 and Akimbo...have been using both DDRT/MRS. Just have to put time aside to make it happen.

In SRT, you tend to fall backward with your saddle because the connector on your bridge is too much forward. Try to move it closer to the belt, or even fasten them together.
The srt model of Sequoia has an usual bridge for ddrt and an other tying point stitched to the belt for srt. This puts the carabiner closer to your center of gravity. The weight of your legs a little in front of you (natural half sit position) can be enough to counterbalance the upper body weigh, no need to hold the rope.
I don't have a chest harness for srt and I don't struggle to climb. But I see it can be handy for rope walking because the body position has to be more upright than with the sit/stand climbing technique.

i think alignment to leg lift force point, directly against own CoG force point(male:approx. solar plexus, stomach brain, chakra, other oriental refs.) is key, and chest box helps/enforces.
This is my imagery of the extra energy needed to same task, when CoG downward force column is not squarely over lift force column (both linear gravity line)
>>since the mis-aligned equal opposites are in compression, constantly fight side force pushing further out of alignment (tension would pull back inline w/side force)
decoding-what-you-feel-runaway-side-forces-rope-walk.png

Thus greatest increase in work input is not the loss from small drop in efficiency, but rather the fight against runaway side force; to then work more to cover both efficency loass and carry sideforces !
Note how the smallest amount of deflection from inline drops column/support very little >> but side force builds immensely by comparison.
>>These are some force effects contained in all rigid devices>>can get feel of war of forces usually only seen, and decode what all things 'feel'/forces borne at these simple offsets
Flexible devices only support inline, but carry side forces>>so need external side force to keep from aligning equal opposites
>>can be side pull of another line or a matching angle of line like 2 angled legs of line to same pulley>>each leg's side force is ballast of other leg's etc.

Back