Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tie-off ideal for a wrecker?

Gary, I just love the way your mind works. You are thinking it through, figuring out if there is a better way to do it.

Looks like the current is ripping through there, best at slack tide,eh? What does the tide give you , like 20 minutes before it starts ripping again? Not long.
    I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone, it brought me life, it brought me love I never have out grown.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Gigi...you ARE an Island Girl. Tides in our Chattahoochee?? hahaha...no worries there...constant flow, whatever it happens to be due to rainfall upstream.

Re: fire ladder truck...good question there...I did wonder about that, too. I have seen them use them horizontal to recover a body that was in a dump truck that ran into a retention pond. They called us on a Dec. night to recover the man but the FF's had their ladder extended and had just retrieved him when we got there.

My son is a FF...they are starting to check into buying a ladder truck for their city. I'll see what he can tell me about working off a horizontal ladder and how they are rated for that.

Re: SRT...I can see where it would be "cleaner" with rope deployment. The few times I did it the body positioning (no chest harness) was a problem. And I didn't have a Haas type leg device, just my one Pantin. I just haven't pushed on it yet. It'll happen soon.
    Gary

TreeHouser Sponsor theTreeSpyder's Avatar

If Chain Basket(2 support connections/ends to pulley), would stay away form flat teepee at connection, but would give round turn first around arm.
    Note arm seems square/rectangular not magic round shape of gradual receding cosine giving up to sine gradual exchange of forces from tension in chain device
    >>would put in anti-slide light rope uphill from chain, hill keeps from upward creep, restriction locks against downward creep/slide
    Will not grip same as round host support, can even try 2 leg support of prussic(but pulls off 1 side of rectangle support), would still consider anti slide locks of build.
    Other deformity could suffice as anti-slide down. want some slant in arm for force column anyway.
    Flat webbing could lay tight, low efficiency loss, but on other axis defame very easy on slide stop because very little strength on that minimal axis, super towing webbing strength probably over-rule that part of math though ; especially thicker, more power against deform.
    Slow climb in DdRT back up, handling 2x as much rope as drop, more than usual windsway possible funneling out under bridge w/total exposure possibly wet.i'd think safety wise should evacuate on arm before car, if using same arm for support, as for as loading and other complications.
    Of course could get lazy and ride on car..
    This could bring liability questions and red flag from wrecker crew that (mite)never signs off on life support due to insurance coverage cyaPolicy etc.>>be prepared for said argument.
    "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
    We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
    ~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt. ~

TreeHouser Sponsor

If the car isn't exactly plumb under the wrecker's boom, or a bit too much under the surface, you still need the boat to help your final positioning, so you can use it to leave the scene. No need to climb up again.
    The car spinning afterward and entangling the rope around the cable could be a problem though.

Thanks for input Kenny...roundturn is good and no-creep limiters, too. Had not thought of wind funneling but good advice.

I would definitely vacate the car/lift area before letting them lift. Too many variables to ride with car.

Marc-Antoine...my hope is to be able to do it without deploying the boat...If the boat is there I'd have the boat captain do his thing like in the video...he's a good driver, able to stabilize as needed.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by pantheraba View Post
    Gigi...you ARE an Island Girl. Tides in our Chattahoochee?? hahaha...no worries there...constant flow, whatever it happens to be due to rainfall upstream.

Re: fire ladder truck...good question there...I did wonder about that, too. I have seen them use them horizontal to recover a body that was in a dump truck that ran into a retention pond. They called us on a Dec. night to recover the man but the FF's had their ladder extended and had just retrieved him when we got there.

My son is a FF...they are starting to check into buying a ladder truck for their city. I'll see what he can tell me about working off a horizontal ladder and how they are rated for that.

Re: SRT...I can see where it would be "cleaner" with rope deployment. The few times I did it the body positioning (no chest harness) was a problem. And I didn't have a Haas type leg device, just my one Pantin. I just haven't pushed on it yet. It'll happen soon.
    Gary, you're shaped just right for SRT rope-walking. My rope-walker floating ascender for the last, about 8-9 years maybe, has been a handled Petzl ascender that was cut and drilled. No need for expensive stuff.

Ahh, body position, you're hanging off the same bridge ring/ point.?.?.?

SRT is like having the option for 4-hi, 4-low, and RWD. Jump on it!

4 wheel drives are cheaper than abusing and damaging a 2wd, pretending it's as capable.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

I swear I am going to do it....I have HH2 and Akimbo...have been using both DDRT/MRS. Just have to put time aside to make it happen.
    Gary

TreeHouser Sponsor

In SRT, you tend to fall backward with your saddle because the connector on your bridge is too much forward. Try to move it closer to the belt, or even fasten them together.
    The srt model of Sequoia has an usual bridge for ddrt and an other tying point stitched to the belt for srt. This puts the carabiner closer to your center of gravity. The weight of your legs a little in front of you (natural half sit position) can be enough to counterbalance the upper body weigh, no need to hold the rope.
    I don't have a chest harness for srt and I don't struggle to climb. But I see it can be handy for rope walking because the body position has to be more upright than with the sit/stand climbing technique.

Good input. Thanks.
    Gary

TreeHouser Sponsor theTreeSpyder's Avatar

i think alignment to leg lift force point, directly against own CoG force point(male:approx. solar plexus, stomach brain, chakra, other oriental refs.) is key, and chest box helps/enforces.
    This is my imagery of the extra energy needed to same task, when CoG downward force column is not squarely over lift force column (both linear gravity line)
    >>since the mis-aligned equal opposites are in compression, constantly fight side force pushing further out of alignment (tension would pull back inline w/side force)

Thus greatest increase in work input is not the loss from small drop in efficiency, but rather the fight against runaway side force; to then work more to cover both efficency loass and carry sideforces !
    Note how the smallest amount of deflection from inline drops column/support very little >> but side force builds immensely by comparison.
    >>These are some force effects contained in all rigid devices>>can get feel of war of forces usually only seen, and decode what all things 'feel'/forces borne at these simple offsets
    Flexible devices only support inline, but carry side forces>>so need external side force to keep from aligning equal opposites
    >>can be side pull of another line or a matching angle of line like 2 angled legs of line to same pulley>>each leg's side force is ballast of other leg's etc.
    "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
    We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
    ~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt. ~