Vertex Vent - Suitable As Construction Hat?

It sounds like you definitely should be using a yo yo, aka retractable. In construction, you aren't required to have a chin strap because you aren't climbing like that, with hardcore pendulum swings and such. I have seen a crew of rescue guys that were on site have actual climbing helmets, but that's it. I think you are thinking too much and worrying about a helmet when you need to be worrying about using the wrong fall arrest device. Using a retractable with a tie in about waist high would result in a fall to about the bottom flange of the beam, where you could easily get back up from. A 6 foot fixed length lanyard would definitely be the wrong choice for this application, as you are taking a longer fall than needed and a retractable would actually work better on the safety cables because it is right next to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, the helmet is a minor component. It's just one less variable to deal with on the beam. I'll know it isn't going anywhere, so I can concentrate on keeping myself in place. Just been irritated with my hardhat lately, and wanted something better. It's always falling off when I have to do stuff. Was considering just using my Husky forestry helmet. It stays on a bit better. Since I was looking at that, I figured I'd see what else was available, and I liked the big vents of the Vertex. That also gives me a more secure helmet for tree climbing, and simplifies my truck situation, having one helmet that can do everything. Since I'm doing it at night now, I may not wear a helmet at all. Haven't decided yet.

Noted on the yoyo. Too late for this trip, but I'll look into one for the next time. Got the trauma strap made last night. I used that polypro I had a question about in the "Ropes" thread. A hip prusik on the left side, and I'll coil it, and strap it with elastic. I can just pull it out, clip it to my right side and adjust.

Sitting on site now in the pouring rain. They wanted grading stakeout, but it's not looking like it's happening today.

That's all we use Kyle. Crank that ratçhet and you can hang upside down. Lx, you may be able to switch out your current hard hat harness for one with a ratchet.

The retractable lanyards lock like a seatbelt. If your tied at waist height the system might take you into the beam as opposed to below it. It's more suitable to muscle yourself back up but what kind of shape are your arms in after that fall? I know I would try to catch myself which would hurt like hell.

So far I'm digging the Vertex. I'm even getting used to the weight with the muffs. It's a nasty, still, and wet day here, but down next to the highway the breeze is amazing, and the vents in the Vertex actually work \O/

Also, things are looking fantastic for my steel walk. Nice tight cables, and no gaps over the splice plates. I'm feeling good about things :^)

20190813-122517.jpg

A bonus picture of my 3/4 retarded robot...

20190813-122511.jpg

Cable won't be overhead unless I fall off the beam :^P

They're about 4' high. The big thing is they're fairly tight. Just being able to run my fingers along it does a lot for keeping my head straight. Objectively, I shouldn't need that. If I can walk while touching it, I should be able to walk with no cable at all, but brains, eh? I can explain it to myself all day long, but it doesn't help when I get up there :^D

Having something to steady yourself is very nice, that's why stairs have hand rails. They allow you to steady yourself preventing a fall.

That gives a reference point to your body, so you can fine tune your position around your balance point without even noticing it.
A sturdy handrail is very comfy, but that works too with the small twigs of a hedge to climb on a small scaffold for example.

My robot doesn't work with the internal software anymore, so that threw a wrench into the works. It was either bring the boss, or hand type all the data in while standing on a beam late at night. I brought the boss, but I'm not sure what would have been more frustrating. He doesn't know how to use the gear, so I had to give a crash course, and communication was difficult. Hard to hear the phones over traffic. It also rained, and they were being anal about stopping traffic over the road while we were above. Took waaay longer than I'd have liked, but it got done. Just emailed the grades over now. Didn't get many pictures cause I didn't want to fumble my phone, or drop the pole or something, but here's what I got...

My trauma strap. I didn't need it!
20190814-155247.jpg

and some crappy nighttime pics...
20190814-211722.jpg

Here I'm sitting on the beam waiting for the road to dry so they can drag traffic
20190815-011914.jpg

The arbitrary rules are frustrating, but it went well. These were some of the biggest beams I've done. They started at ~18", and got as wide as ~24". It was like a sidewalk up there! Still digging the helmet. Nice breeze, and secure fit. Glad I got it :^)

Back