Excellent Ground Man

It’s a good reminder.

I always hate when a ground guy pulls all the slack out of a rigging line BEFORE I have it tied off. That 4 seconds you think you’re saving ain’t saving shit when I gotta pull more slack back on my end to set the knot where I want it, and greatly increases the possibility of the whole rope being pulled right out of the tree. Especially if using pulley or block.

I read through it again rather quickly and didn’t see, does the article mention not setting saws on wood decks, or patios or even driveways? Basically don’t set it anywhere you don’t want a little oil spot. Expect all saws to leave behind a few drops. Put it on the grass.

Of course the whole thing was written before the age of everyone owning a smartphone. Useful device but incredibly distracting. I’d make an exception if you have a 9 month pregnant wife or a terminally ill parent in their last days or some kinda family emergency but otherwise you can play on it when you see me playing on mine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has been a while since I read it, almost forgot how good it was. Holy smokes, it is just spot on.

One thing I got a kick out of though was in paragraph # 4, it mentions keeping maps in the glove box. I don't think any map apps were available when it was written. Weird, it seems like it was just yesterday.

When I first started in this job we would drive around with various road maps in London, pain in the arse it was!

Thank God for satellite gps stuff making life easier (and safer)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oxxO5avKbbw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back