GoPro Vanity... What's Yer Opinion?

I was practicing my springboard diving (not with redwoods but into a pool) when I was a teenager and a lifeguard at a pool. An "old lady" was swimming there (she was probably in her 50's), we were the only ones there at the time. She was an excellent diver and was coaching me...she said when you dive don't think you are showing off. Imagine you are showing people something beautiful, a field of flowers.

It's attitude.

Be a flower, Jed.

Your probably right B, about, "rather think that it is the latter." I'm not weighing out my thoughts very responsibly tonight. Just shooting from the hip after a coupla beers. If I read my stuff in the morning, I'm sure it would seem like a buncha crybaby stuff that I hate reading myself.

Tim/Sean... thanks for the intelligent input. I do really appreciate it.

Hey Jed, I'm not throwing stones here. I'm a drinking lightweight, and a tough puffer. More than one important person in my life drank too much. One just died from cirrhosis.

I'm guessing you're not talking 3 coors light 12 oz'ers.

DEFINITELY negatively-affected their mental stability and way more anxiety than they needed or wanted.

FWIW.

Being a lightweight, I don't drink most nights, and if it's a work-night, one porter or whiskey. Otherwise, I"m off the next day. I couldn't do anything serious, with high consequences for f-ing up.

I work with a guy who is an alcoholic hypochondriac who tracks his heart rate with a fit bit. His heart rate is always elevated but he's convinced it is a condition and not withdrawal induced anxiety.

Jed, I fully support you wearing a Go pro and sharing your video here.

I want to believe

url

url

imgres

Be a flower, Jed.

That was heavy.

Beyond that, let's not pollute the thread with religious talk. Imo, if someone asks you about what your take is about religion they by all means expound, whether it be for or against. Otherwise yeah nah.

Back to the original topic? How unusual ;)

You should be more worried about greed Jed. Saving all those fir tops for yourself. Let us see

Jed, it'll likely not come too much wether you collect shots for them or not. Comply or don't comply based on your convictions. But if it's a moral question, it seems like you'd try to steward the wishes of the company as best you can, "ride for the brand," Louis L 'Amour would say. That said, collecting footage is only the 1st part of the effort to build a company presence online. It's difficult to sufficiently capture a concise, coherent sequence of work through the tiny keyhole of a camera lens. Job site dynamics need focused effort to bottle up, even the most simple jobs.
Then if that footage makes it all the way through the many pitfalls of human and technical error, clear to a capable editing program run by a capable editor who possesses the same job site intelligence that was able to gather it. . . Then, and only then, there is hope of watchable content after some patience splicing it all together.

If you decide to participate, there are ways to keep it reletively painless for yourself and for the editor.
Don't run the battery dead and plug-load the micro-SD card capturing everything. Just capture the highlights within your areas of the job from beginning, middle to end. Short clips. This way your battery will last through the whole project and your clips won't take up a vault of storage space. The number one killer of a tree video's journey to the web is the patience and knowledge of the editor. If he/she has too much material to sift through, then it'll often drag editor resolve and resources to a halt.

Initially, it's likely your company would be better served by ONE camera in the hands of one capable story teller who passes it around at the pertinent times to collect the highlights of sequence. His job is director/story teller. He stops people, starts people, makes people repeat things, sends the camera up, asks for it back, reminds them to start and stop recording etc. He imposes on the patience of everyone around with dogged commitment to the "production" that lives on long after the moment/job-site production is gone. Think of Beranek making all those production loggers stop everything and pose. It's no different than that unless it's even more imposing because its video. If they can master decent story flow with one camera, then perhaps they can step up to multiples.

To reiterate, it sounds like currently your part can be very simple; capture short clips of action AND INTERACTION along the sequence of the job and then give them back the camera. Human interaction adds watchability to the hum drum of over-action.

After all that, even if they produce a decent video or two, a successful channel will only be built through long term dedication and only those with the heart of a story teller will have that. Your part can be easy though.

Well stated, August. Good plan to give an editor something reasonable (short clips) to work with.

This statement make so much sense:
If he/she has too much material to sift through, then it'll often drag editor resolve and resources to a halt.

Good visual on what it must have taken Jerry to get PNW loggers to actually slow down/stop and let him get pictures. He had to make some folks crazy at times....hoorah that he was committed enough to stay the course.

You do the same in your work. It has to be mentally taxing to plan and produce the video while running the treework, too...it is tedious and trying to get video footage. I dabble at it...you have been dogging at it for years and doing a fine job. Thanks for the input about this process.

Thanks, Gary. To me the dialog makes the video. The work itself is repetitious but each job is uniquely different from the rest and the better you can describe the uniqueness of each situation the more informed the videos will be.

But certainly not to make a mountain out of a molehill.

That's my take. In style, presentation, and dialog, August's vids are consistently the best going on the net. I must say, you have many talents Mr. Hunicke.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dang. Crazy how much I just want to sit in a bar, and drink (NOT too MUCH!!!) say a coupla pints with Auggie, (if he still drank, which he will in the Kingdom of Heaven) and Jerry...

1st thing I'd do: Give my GoPro to one of those guys. 2) Take more pics. I think, maybe I'm just a pic guy. Gerry's pics have meant more to me than any vid, be they by Buckin, Reg, OR, August, the champion videographer, imo. But I DO, really, really love those vids. I just don't like doing it myself, and for some reason I really, really hate trying to navigate Instagram. Well I dislike the Gram for a number of reasons. Maybe just pics. Pics and the odd vid, just off my phone er sumthin. YEAH... maybe that.

Sean: Dead serious, man. Dead serious. Thank you SO very much for the advice about drink. Yeah... we all know that I've sunken WAY too much in the past, and I've gotta keep an eye on myself methinks. I've been on a roll fer a bit sticking to two pints of Icehouse :lol::lol::lol: lately, so I feel like maybe I'm doing o.k???

Religion?... Christian. We're all gonna wind up Christians here in just a bit, friends. Watch... just watch. You can say you heard it here first. :lol: Even YOU Ed. :lol:

me too Butch
Thanks Mr Beranek, I got my 1st or 2nd impetus for job capturing from you (the first being innate.) But I'll call you Jer if you'll drop the "Mr Hunicke."
:)

Religion?... Christian. We're all gonna wind up Christians here in just a bit, friends. Watch... just watch. You can say you heard it here first. :lol: Even YOU Ed. :lol:

Just make sure you get some sweet gopro footage of the rapture!

Back