GoPro Vanity... What's Yer Opinion?

my problem with editing my vids.... I do a lot of little clips. But I am not a good story teller.
And as I edit, I see so much stuff I like, I keep it. Then I look at time on the finished product... Nope, no song gonna fit it... :lol:

I am not sure about the vanity aspect but I am sure it is there in some videos. Most videos I watch are from skilled and competent tree men and women who are just plain good at what they do. IS there some showboatness? Probably. IS there some skill involved? Most certainly. With skill comes confidence and ego follows but vanity is a mental state IMO.

I never cared for filming or taking pics of gigs. Too much setup time, I like showing up getting it done and going home as quickly as possible.

Different strokes and all that.

Doesn’t take more than a few seconds to pull out your phone and get a few stills.

Apart from putting them up for others amusement (and remind yourself and others you actually do the job) it’s nice at quiet times to run back through them on your device.

Rendering vids is very time consuming after the job. I have so much going on in my life, it is hard to do any of it. I think my family is ok with the GoPro breaking.
They miss some of the vids though. Kids kind of liked seeing the footage. But they need dad time too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is it in 1999?

This. See I have a buddy who regularly taunts me over my GoPro instagram stuff. I don't even try to fight back. I don't have a leg to stand on. Why would I since I agree with him anyway. The phone however...

Dude... I couldn't get away from that stinkin thing if I tried. 1) Our work-orders are on our phone. 2) We must text our arrival and departure times to the boss. 3) We must make a video-log of each and every job that we complete detailing relevant little bit, and send it to the bosses via WhatsApp. Techno-tree-service. Not sure whether I like or hate the modern world. Largely why I started this thread. I'm thinkin pics and no more. Just pics off the smartphone now and again, and ta heck with the stupid vid stuff. I suck at it anyways. Leave the vids to August and Buckin. I can hardly even WATCH a vid these days. Weird.... still like pics though.

I keep my phone in pocket most of time so that I have the camera with me and also send work texts or calls re getting the current job done.

Same here. I have handled many customer calls in a tree. Makes for a break sometimes. Blue tooth keeps the hands free...never actually hold the phone.

I have been working solo before and had an open line with Alex during a critical cut. Top goes good, sign off, carry on.

Personally I won't answer any calls or texts that don't relate to the current job. I do that after work

I dropped my phone for the first time in 12 years of carrying it. Don't try to start your top-handle with the phone in the hand with the cord. Beyond that, I keep the screen to my thigh, and nothing else ever in the same pocket. Same phone for 5 years or so.

I bought my phone for security purpose. I climbed with it for that, at first, as i was often alone.
I don't fear to break it because it's a simple rugged one. But after I unwillingly sent once a message with 15 minutes of chainsawing (an hedge take down) and an other time began a call to the police, I gave up to bring the phone with me. It stays in the van.
I'm not a social media guy, so I don't miss my phone at all.

I can take vids but actually took very few for two reasons. I'm shy for one. For two, a good vid needs a lot of time and skills, so I don't feel able to bring out something valuable in comparison with the top notch guy's vids here.

Back