Fast growing shade trees that are car and people friendly

I wonder how many trees I’ve taken out, far too big, where the planter (many years ago) thought “I won’t let it get too big”

Keeps the bank happy I guess.

When clients tell me that the tree all of a sudden got too big for where they had planted it, I tell them, that if trees had a "stand by" or "snooze" button, I'd be out of work.

Hackberries are my go to. Underplanted, fast growing, wildlife and birds love them. Nothing gets to them so far. Descent structure and strength. Black gum is a good one too. But not as fast growing

Sad thing is, almost every homeowner consulted an 'expert'. Nursery, landscape designer, landscape contractor, etc.
THEY are the problem, not the arborist! Sad because many of them have a degree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought about hackberry, but they are on the slow side, and I hate them, and I've known some to be randomly sappy.

Maybe I'll plant whatever this is

rotator tree.jpg

Sitka spruce. Might give your mower some issues, here and there, with surface roots, though, in case you missed that. ;)

Allyanthus, tree of hell. Excellent revenue enhancement for a tree service!

I've found hardiness to have more to do with what temps kill the root. Like some plantain varieties are supposedly hardy to around -10 I think, but would never reach maturity around here as they freeze back to the ground most winters.

I always thought they were beautiful. They do better than most hardwoods in ice storms and high wind around here.

Bump.

If still working on this decision, I'd suggest Purple Mountain Ash (if you don't mind treating it for EAB). I planted one of these about 2 years ago for a family member and it's grown 4 feet already. Still trying to convince my wife on one to shade the front of the house like she wants.

I think, it would be pretty cool to plant a redwood in my yard, but I think it would freeze each year. Boy would it stick out after a good 50 years of feeding and watering. Planes might have to watch out for it :)
I planted two dawn redwoods last year. They're the little ones. They only get to ~150' :^D

Seriously though, it's a nifty tree. Good for the south side of your house. Will block the sun in the summer, then drop its needles to let in the sun in the winter. Mine are on the north and east parts of the property. Only good places I had for them.

Hell yeah! I LOVE dawn redwoods, my first answer when anyone asks for a tree suggestion. Super neat story about their discovery too.

Nor really a sure thing in their max height, trees can have different growth characteristics out of their native enviro and these have only been out for 75 years

Ash is probably a bad suggestion with EAB around. There are some pretty fast red/sugar maple hybrids, Acer freemanii off the top of my head

Over and again saw where especially Live Oak is tenaciously slow growing , slight cable twist /waves(hard to split)and double thick bark can about hang from ridges by fingers, totally better than faster especially Water Oak types that grow quick but thin 'watery' bark violated easier including by mistletoe. Even watery vs. thicker, spring back open leaves etc. Branch cuts show some rot before close many times, and not thick callous of slower Live Oak etc.
Seemed in especially similar species only so much food value taken in and could either grow powerful or fast, but not both from limited resource as any other engine transmission from same power source In this tradeoff. In this semi-tropical region , Live Oaks seem to take things even further as most likely to support fuller fauna of less volatile mosses etc. as set off fuller ecosystem than rest. Many trees get Spanish(might see as seat batting in old cars) and Ball Moss, but Old Live Oaks invite more species etc. somehow and seem more resistance to Ball and Spanish invasion. Live Oaks seem to be the extreme in so many measures as work with Nature best, to me Live Oaks seemed to know more secrets than rest. Always my benchmark species of extreme to rate the rest by. Faster growing trees seem more like weedy species many times, growing fast and almost failing under own weight as branches lost, more codoms etc. Harder woods with more btu, longer burn, slower growth, heavier wood seem to last longer here unless specific invasion against.
Lots of books showed Spanish and Ball Moses as no worry, speeches given etc. Arguments too. Anything that smothers that much from air and light ain't good. Old treeman told me once if Ball Mose walks collar around branch, it takes it's air. Never thought the air part was accurate, but it did seem it might as well be! Down here bunch or row of trees seem same moss buries some skips others. Spanish likes swamp like darkness, dampness, stillness, coolness etc. so mostly on inner and lower,more air and light can give drier less favorable enviro.

Do redwoods of any kind drip sap or sappy mist like some maples, hackberry and pine? I'm considering Dawn, and Giant if I can find any available. Dawn goes dormant right? Does it drop leaves in the winter? I'm also looking for year round wind protection.

I planted two dawn redwoods last year. They're the little ones. They only get to ~150' :^D

Seriously though, it's a nifty tree. Good for the south side of your house. Will block the sun in the summer, then drop its needles to let in the sun in the winter. Mine are on the north and east parts of the property. Only good places I had for them.
How's the tree doing?

Dunno about sap drippage, but I don't think so. I had a couple little branches break, and they weren't weepy like a white pine would be. They lose their needles in the winter, so not great for a windbreak.

Back