West Coast RV rental

Thor's Hammer

Wolfish. Sometimes Bites.
Hey everybody... Been thinking about flying into San Francisco and driving out to Reno for burning man.

Can anybody advise where to hire an RV and what sort of rates we'd pay for 3 week or a month?

Any help appreciated

Hey Ed! Unfortunately, I have no experience in RV rentals, but something tells me if it's anywhere close to the BM event it won't be cheap!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Butch, thats what we thought, hence the idea of renting in SF and driving out to the desert, rather than hiring one local

Hi Ed.
Good to "see" you.

If you want to go in a style that fits Burning man, I'd suggest you rent a VW camper from these guys: https://californiacampers.com/

The are down in Redwood city, a short cab drive from SF airport.

Good guys, I've rented from them.

The campers are oldish, of course, but clean and in fine shape.
And sooo much more fun to drive around in that those huge motorhomes.

Thanks Stig, great to see you again. I'll look up what you linked - might not be suitable for 4 of us though...

Simple solution: Get 2 campers.

But no, you are right, one wouldn't be.

It would seem that getting an RV in portland and driving down is much cheaper than SF
Still looking at 1000 bucks a week hire

Not cheap by a long shot anywhere, as I have seen it. One might almost consider buying used for your trip, then selling afterwards...if you could find a local "agent" to handle the business end for you, it might be almost free.

Ed, see a lot of Jucy Rentals, but I think they are smaller. Cruise America also. They have bigger.
You could shop closer to the event, like Bakersfield or something. Maybe take a rental car to where you rent the RV. Rental cars run pretty reasonable and other areas might have a better offering.

Good to read you, Ed!
1000$ a week to rent one probably isn’t much more than a good hotel room.

Sounds awesome, Burning Man is on my bucket list 8)

I would suggest flying into Sacramento and renting something there. Not only would it be cheaper to rent an RV in Sac, but it's an easier drive to Nevada. Navigating the SF Bay area is a real pain. Sacramento is much easier.

It would seem that getting an RV in portland and driving down is much cheaper than SF
Still looking at 1000 bucks a week hire

Portland came to mind when I saw SF in the opening post. I avoid SF like the plague. In addition to Portland, Medford also has an international airport in southern Oregon, and there may be RV rental places around here too.

You don't need to tell them where you plan to go....:/:
Uh, hello! They will be crossing state lines! That question is one of the first asked!
Have you EVER rented an RV.?
Also, Bman is a set time. You don't think things through do you? Lol
Pop Bman is what, 1oo,ooo plus?
Of all those people, EVERY SINGLE YEAR, you think every trick in the book and then some has not been tried?

I do think things through, and you don't have to say explicitly that you are going to a clothing optional hippie fest. He's from Europe, and so saying that they were planning a meandering trip down the coast would suffice, and they won't have any way to prove otherwise. On top of that, the insurance for a rented rv is likely not less than a rental car, and you should have seen some of the shit I've done in those!!! No one flies into Oregon to rent an rv to go to bm, that's what, close to 600 miles away? Now people in Portland probably are thinking bm, but go anywhere else that's actually in the real world and no one will know shit.

Back