Tracked Aerial Lift transport and Chipper?

Ken

Prospect
Not sure if I’ll word this correctly (in fact it seems like a stupid question). But I was wondering how people are getting around the problem of needing two separate vehicles to complete a job with an aerial lift? One for the chipper and one for the lift? Or are people making 2 separate trips to the job (what if it’s a long distance away). Are you just stacking the brush and coming back with the chipper? It just seems like a down side to using a lift when compared to a bucket truck and chipper (which is an all in one system). Before I look into buying a lift, I was just wondering if there are any “tricks of the trade.” To making a lift more effective and efficient for tree work?

BTW: I like the idea of getting into some sketchy hazardous back yard trees where a bucket truck wouldnÂ’t work.

Thanks in advance!

I plan my schedule.
The day before, one piece of equipment goes to the job site, vs shop. The next day, second piece come with for the job.
Close of the day and following job dictates where and in what order things move out. Often times I will drop the chipper first, lift comes in the morning, get all needed done with lift, return lift that afternoon, finish job the next morning and move chipper out.
Sometimes I will do it all same day. Makes for a long day. But planning your moves is important. I rent a lift if I need it, so it is cheaper for me to return it sooner than later.
Drop chipper day before. Drive the next morning 1 hour to pick up lift at 7am opening time. Drive back an hour. DO the work. Leave chipper and drive the hour with lift to have it back by 430pm. Unless it moves into next job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, thanks so much for the quick “and detailed” reply! Very much appreciated! The answers tell me my question did make sense because that’s exactly the problem I’m trying to figure out! Again thank you!

Do you not have a second driver?

I have to shuttle vehicles and equipment when working alone, as the mini-loader, like so many groundworkers, doesn't have a clean valid license and solid driving history, or even its own ride.

A guy mounted a motorcycle rack to his slow as all get-out All-Terrain Crane, so rather than have a parade with a Grove at the front, and pissed off commuters behind, he'd leave early with the crane, and ride back.

I'm looking at an electric bike set-up for that. I don't have a motorcycle. I work close to home, no more than 15 miles for 95% of jobs. Some are walking distance, but the chipper still presents a problem.

A guy in Florida has a converted, low mile fire truck for a tracked-life hauler and equipment truck, with a trailer behind. Doesn't get out of a second truck.

Seems like you might need a big enough open top-dump truck to haul the lift, and pull the chipper. Just have to dump before heading home. How long is the lift? Does your chipper chute rotate to the rear?

Lol!! Super funny! Nice answer!!!

Like Rob is only comfotable pulling the small dump with mini on board or the flat trailer. I do the goose necks, lift and chipper. I can bring in a third driver, but again, licence dependant. Idiots sure do like to let things lapse and drink and such.

Yes, it’s hard to find good help sometimes, that you can trust with so much of your equipment...

I guess the next question is: does the lift system work for people (OVERALL). when compared to a bucket truck? In other words is it “cost effective” when compared to a bucket truck? With all the additional running around of equipment.

Ken

I’ll have to check out their posts (website) etc or whatever. See if I can learn something.

Thank you

I very much like running a Nifty Lift SD64 over a bucket truck for my small but profitable setup. The SD64 can't do narrow access, but that's not my niche on purpose.

It all depends on your target market. At work we run 5 bucket crews and all bucket ops are “climbers”. The target market is a few utilities, county, and municipal contracts. We also have a land clearing crew. Our residential is fill in work. 30-50 estimate calls a day and basically have to be told anywhere from 2-10 months out depending on time of year. With all the rain this year a spider lift would’ve paid for itself just in the amount of time it takes to mat a yard out for the buckets or time saved by having to climb. In most situations, no matter the set up, a lift of any sort will beat out a climber. Lifts don’t get tired by the end of the day and still perform.
As for transport, I suggest two chip trucks. One preferably with a platform for the mini skid. Or long ( and heavy) enough trailer for both.

It all depends on your target market. At work we run 5 bucket crews and all bucket ops are “climbers”. The target market is a few utilities, county, and municipal contracts. We also have a land clearing crew. Our residential is fill in work. 30-50 estimate calls a day and basically have to be told anywhere from 2-10 months out depending on time of year. With all the rain this year a spider lift would’ve paid for itself just in the amount of time it takes to mat a yard out for the buckets or time saved by having to climb. In most situations, no matter the set up, a lift of any sort will beat out a climber. Lifts don’t get tired by the end of the day and still perform.
As for transport, I suggest two chip trucks. One preferably with a platform for the mini skid. Or long ( and heavy) enough trailer for both.

Good info here, makes sense to me! Thank you!

Back