Awsome Rigging Work

chris_girard

Treehouser
One of the best rigging videos that I've seen in awhile:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G_nG90WJ1jc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don’t pretend to understand everything that was going on there, but clearly some smart stuff going on.

Man, that first song sounded pretty cool, but, Oh my dear!!... What endless contrivance to kill some poor, little Beach tree! :O

:lol: The music drove me kind of nuts.

And contrivance?? It was pretty complicated. Like Mick said...I don't pretend to understand all of it.

Different strokes and skinnin' cats, I reckon.

High line yarder set up basically. Cut piece, lift piece, trolly/carriage piece to landing, lower piece. Return carriage to next pick. Wash rinse repeat.
Sure wondering how they got all the bigger wood out. Lost their high rigging point :drink:

Prolly the old fashioned way.... Lots of little cookies or chunks and a hand dolly.

Seems to be the same concept as on a tower crane used on construction sites. Instead of a mobile, self-contained steel structure, they use trees.

The trolley moves back and forth, and the load come up and goes down. Horizontal and vertical components of movement are independent.

The Offya looks like a damn cool piece of gear. DMM makes some beautiful rigging tools. One of these days I may spring for one of their impact blocks. Pricy in comparison to other makes but you can’t find bad reviews about them.
For now I get by with one real block and a couple rings. I’d definitely find a home for one more block, but realistically I’d rarely if ever find a use for the Offya.

Excellent video though for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I follow John Lloyd on Instagram. Hell of a climber and inventor of some cool climbing/rigging gear.

I also messaged John to stop by The TreeHouse and tell us a little more about this job and the rigging.

He seems like a real good guy and someone that I'd be happy working with as well.

I chatted to him briefly a couple of years back at a show, not long after the offya had been released. Knowledgeable guy and has the reputation for being a very capable climber.

Looks to be true , he has my respect ... Comes from the small company that specializes in the no possible access for the Crane and Bucket jobs. They moved tons of work in the air.

Sexy bit of gear. I've thought about something like that to pull logs off of shoreline hills. Sweet setup if the trees cooperate.

Also, that chainsaw drill adapter was damn cool

Without that, the job would really have been a bitch.

Cool video. The set up looks like it would be a bit time consuming but I reckon it would be worth it for time and manpower saved, especially at the end of the job on the clean up because you wouldn't have to process the logs and brash down to handable sizes in the garden, which means a lot less mess to clear up. I can think of one job I did recently where it would have been a great set up to have. Bit randomly I recognised the location but wasn't quite sure at first. It's somewhere around where I grew up though, one of the ground team, the business owner, used to instruct the tae kwon do club I trained at when I was a teenager. Small world, eh.

Looks to be true , he has my respect ... Comes from the small company that specializes in the no possible access for the Crane and Bucket jobs. They moved tons of work in the air.

Same here and the same kind of small tree company that I own and run. No buckets trucks and only need cranes on certain jobs.

I got into this business for my love of climbing and rigging. I have a logging and engineering background (I know...a strange combo) and I remember when I first got Jerry B's Fundamentals book from Bailey's when it first came out, I thought it was the greatest thing with the rigging photos in it. I knew that I had to learn all that I could...still at it and always searching for new and interesting rigging that can may make our job safer and more efficient.

Back