Dead Tree for Treehouse

TypicalHomeownr

Treehouser
Hi guys! I'm fully aware the concept of building a treehouse in a dead tree isn't likely a very good one- but understanding that, I am trying to figure out my options.

This particular tress is a big split Hickory in the middle of my back yard and it is beautiful and I'd like to honor the tree by not ripping it down, but rather limbing it to about 20' and building a treehouse in it.

Since it is dead, I'd be able to cap the tops of the trunks with metal to try and avert some rot there, and I was thinking I could literally cover the whole thing in poly. Plus the treehouse itself would have a full roof that would cover the trunk and keep some of the water off it.

It just died this year likely from it's roots being destroyed a few years ago when we built our house.

So... knowing this tree isn't a forever tree, but would likely last quite awhile- any other reasons I'm missing that would make this a bad idea? Or is it reasonable to build the treehouse knowing what I am getting into?

Thanks in advance!

Hello there Typical Homeowner, welcome to MasterBlaster's TreeHouse!

If the roots were destroyed, there's your sign. The roots are what are going to keep the tree house stable. If the roots don't do their job, little Johnny may be in it when it falls.

If a tree house is a must, go on line, there are plenty of DYI projects using solid wood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello there Typical Homeowner, welcome to MasterBlaster's TreeHouse!

If the roots were destroyed, there's your sign. The roots are what are going to keep the tree house stable. If the roots don't do their job, little Johnny may be in it when it falls.

If a tree house is a must, go on line, there are plenty of DYI projects using solid wood.

Thanks. Sorry I should have been more clear about the root destruction issue. The graders stripped off all the top 1' or so of dirt around this tree essentially killing all the nutrient roots. The main roots that go into the ground are all in-tact.

I could also drop 6x6 treated posts from the treehouse... essentially making the dead tree an ornamental part of the treehouse and not a structural component. Obviously the tree could still fall over, but if I monitor the overall condition of it, it would likely only come down in a catastrophic storm or hurricane.

It might be ok with an oak tree, though most trees won't be very stable when dead for 3-5 years I'd think, but hickory can rot extremely quickly as can hackberry and maple (within a year)

Consider a portable bandsaw miller to make it into lumber.

Funny you say that, I logged all the trees when I cleared my 10 acre build site and used the wood for my barn and other stuff on the house. tried to reclaim as much a possible. Praise that poor woodmizer guy though cutting for about 5 days.

Ok, well I really appreciate the info, but have to say the situation sucks. We had a great thing planned but sounds like it would be a max of 5 years.

Here's a couple pictures to show the whole project... that is likely now scrapped.

TreehouseConcept.jpg

Is the treehouse for kids? Building an attraction around a dead and increasing liability seems like poor planning for the typical homeowner, pun intended.

I had a customer that build a treehouse on a faux stump/tree trunk. There were steel columns surrounded by a stucco "trunk" complete with textured bark, knot holes, etc. Construction was in the low 6 figures.

I'm sorry man, but i would say the idea needs to be scrapped completely. You can build any other structure, but i wouldn't trust that tree at all. The people here telling you the same all have climbed dead trees during removal, and at times we won't even do that. Once they die the clock starts ticking, and you can't stop mother nature.

I'm sorry man, but i would say the idea needs to be scrapped completely. You can build any other structure, but i wouldn't trust that tree at all. The people here telling you the same all have climbed dead trees during removal, and at times we won't even do that. Once they die the clock starts ticking, and you can't stop mother nature.

Yep, that's why I asked- and unlike the Typical Homeowner (pun intended), I will listen and scrap the idea. Guess that tree will make some nice 8x8 posts for the pool house. :/

Thank you all for the input.

You are making the right decision...good on you for asking the right question and then being smart enough to follow the experienced advice of these folks.

Plant two good posts and still use your design.

Here is what I made my kids in 1990...the first tree I had chosen for the support was a pine that I found was just starting to die as I started the build. That tree came down and I used the sweetgum next to it.

Climbing up through the tires led to the trapdoor in the floor. Falling thru the trapdoor you would pingpong tire to tire but not auger all the way down. Net was for the idjits that fell out the window...:D

Attachments

• treehouse 2.jpg
    treehouse 2.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 41
  • treehouse 3.jpg
    treehouse 3.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 41
  • treehouse at home.jpg
    treehouse at home.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for checking in and stick around, we would love to see the pool house completed with those logs!

Gary, I had forgotten about that tree house, thanks for reposting. Awesome!!

I am a little late to the party but a dead tree for a treehouse is a bad idea, but you already knew that. Carry on.
Milling up the wood for lumber is a better way to honor the trees existence.

You are making the right decision...good on you for asking the right question and then being smart enough to follow the experienced advice of these folks.

Plant two good posts and still use your design.

Here is what I made my kids in 1990...the first tree I had chosen for the support was a pine that I found was just starting to die as I started the build. That tree came down and I used the sweetgum next to it.

Climbing up through the tires led to the trapdoor in the floor. Falling thru the trapdoor you would pingpong tire to tire but not auger all the way down. Net was for the idjits that fell out the window...:D

Thanks, I am still going to build a treehouse- I have a lot of other spots on the property- was just hoping to put it in that tree which isn't an option. I actually have 6 trees that need to come down if anyone is near Huntersville, NC. :)

If you guys are interested I'll post my new location and see where it goes with the build. I'm not a tree guy but I'm a pretty good carpenter so once I'm up there I plan to have some fun. At this point I'll likely just go with some 16' 8x8's to get as high as I can around a tree and concrete them in as my base. I have a spot with some big old oaks that are nicely triangulated that will let me build some platforms and rope bridges.

Avoid to put the beams in the concrete, overall under or at the ground level. The fungi love that. The end have to dry fast after each rain, not staying continuously in humidity (that's why the tree roots rot fast).

Definitely update if you remember. It would be cool to see. I'm sure many here would appreciate it.

Welcome and good on yah for taking the advice even when it's not what you wanted to hear.

Don't worry about not being a treeguy...one our most loved and funny members here is a farmer in Montana. Personality and caring enough to participate and contribute is what floats this TreeHouse.

We'd love to see what you plan and how you do it. And as you build your TH you may end up needing to set safety to free your hands while you work. We can help get you on the right track on how not to bust your ass during the build.

I have picts of when I built my TH and having safety on the kids as they helped or as we ate lunch on partially built things.

Don't worry about not being a treeguy...one our most loved and funny members here is a farmer in Montana. Personality and caring enough to participate and contribute is what floats this TreeHouse.

We'd love to see what you plan and how you do it. And as you build your TH you may end up needing to set safety to free your hands while you work. We can help get you on the right track on how not to bust your ass during the build.

I have picts of when I built my TH and having safety on the kids as they helped or as we ate lunch on partially built things.

Ok well here is my expert tip of the day as a new part of the community then. Many probably know this "trick" already, some may not. Here's how to take a brand new bright spanking yellow piece of wood and make it look like it has been aged 20 years... for next to no cost. It works on basically all untreated wood.

So the "trick" is to take a 2-liter bottle and fill it about half way with plain old white vinegar. In that drop a no-soap brillo pad / steel wool, stir it up so the steel wool sinks into the vinegar (though it actually will float some as it oxidizes) and cap it. Let it sit overnight (or longer for darker finishes) and then pull out the steel wool and fill the bottle up the rest of the way with water. Then shake it up good. Now just "paint" it on with a brush. It goes on clear and you see no change.. but after about 30 minutes your wood will go from bright yellow to an aged grey look. It's awesome for projects that you want to have that silvery-wood look on.

In my opinion (aside from the obvious $1 per gallon vinegar cost vs $25+ per gallon stain cost) is it is 100% transparent, it literally just changes the wood color. So all the grain, knots, etc are still right there. You can also put on multiple coats and it gets a little darker each time. This is nice if you want to do like a patchwork wall where the wood looks like it was reclaimed from different sources. Hope this helps someone!

Here's a before and after of my barn below using the solution.

BarnBeforeAfter.jpg

Works inside too... Here are some walls I did in my living room from wood I had milled from the house site.

LivingRoomWoodStain.jpg

Back