Ms201tc hekp

Easiest thing to use is the spare pull cord for starter handles that everybody has in the truck anyway.
That'll do the trick.

Look at the piston's position. Make it goes up (while turning clockwise) until it just closes the exhaust port, then you stuff the (clean) rope in the cylinder, so the rope is in a closed space. If a port is opened (exhaust or transfer) the rope can go in it and be jammed here while you crank on the wrench. You have to avoid that because the piston can become really stuck if the rope is shredded and inserted between the cylinder wall and the piston.

Turn the wrench clockwise to loosen the clutch.
I managed to bend the connecting rod of my 021. I obstinately wanted to turn counter-clock wise, like usual, even when I perfectly knew that it needed to turn in the reverse way. Dumb !

Thanks a lot, Kyle, Sean, Stig and Marc-Antoine! Those are a lot of great tips, and hard-won lessons. I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge in this area!

Tim

P.S. Thanks, also, Nutball, for your tip! You posted while I was still typing away.

Last edited:
Would you have a dealer rewind a starter coil spring for you? I would until I goofed and let the coil loose when working on one. I hated every minute of it, but I got it wound back up and installed. I didn't think I could do it. That was on a 359, and it wasn't easy. Then I looked at one on a 372, and I was sure to not let it loose as it looked truly impossible to rewind.

Up in my area dealer repairs are very expensive and costly. Often done wrong. The second 088 I got was a dealer maintained saw. They cranked down the carb nuts to stop an air leak in the manifold boot. Didn't work. I replaced the boot myself.

20190625_154010.jpg

Stihl techs Should be well trained. They are people. People who have Mondays, poor night of sleep, sick, fight with partner that morning, etc.

It takes too long to make a return trip to the dealer for a repair when many are just simple things without delicate parts. If the clutch is done wrong, you don't get a lean-seizure. The oiler is one step underneath the clutch. It's such a simple part. My MS 261 is not oiling ATM, and is about to get the clutch spun off, and checked/ replaced.

The first time my chip truck almost burned up, the Tow Truck Professional didn't fully disengage my Lucas Girling parking brakes He towed the truck with the brakes dragging and almost caught fire. Nothing to do with my clutch, which was the problem.

The tow truck driver wanted to ask me about taking down a tree at his house (we were not at his house) rather than focus on the problem at hand, how to safely tow my truck with Lucas Girling brakes. He wanted to know if Lucas-Girlings were like such and such. I told him I'd talk his ear off about root disease fungi, but he's the tow pro, and the brake system is Lucas-Girling, and the brakes must be manually released (while the engine is running, a hydraulic pump prevents the Parking Brake from engaging, so two canisters' screws must be fully backed-out to the Towing position, as well as disconnect the drive shaft), and he should call his supervisor. I told my employee we were going away from where he needed to work so he could focus on his job.

After the Professional Large-Truck Mechanic fixed the brakes, brake fluid started leaking onto my hot engine, almost catching fire a second time.

All consequences from Trained Professionals' actions.

It's the world of learning from Youtube, plus you have lots of skilled people here to walk you through it.

Exhaust port or spark plugs hole?

I've tried a toothbrush handle and also a piston, stop, and snapped the soft, plastic toothbrush handle. Piston stop in the exhaust port, iirc, last time.

When I buy a new sprocket for my 200/201 it comes with a plastic piston stop thingy...but like so many have said, put a clean bit of starter cord in there.
There being down the hole the spark plugs and comes out of, and follow the tips about the position of the piston.
I've never had to replace clutch spings individually, but a tip from college was to do them one at a time, one off, one on...next

Does plastic or nylon cord matter?

Somewhere I think I heard cotton, maybe not. Guessing you don't want any plastic accidently getting caught up and melted inside the cylinder.

Maybe I'm wack.

Plastic would be easier to snip off in a port, but cotton can be abrasive if left behind. Also cotton is squishier, so that can help. You could hyro lock it with oil if done properly, its the same process, move the piston to the correct side of the stroke high enough to plug all ports, fill with oil leaving room for the plug, then drain the oil when finished.

Won't get stuck ports if done wrong.

What kinda oil?

Lots of smoke?

I've broken the Stihl piston-stop tool before, IIRC.

Plastic rope is ok, I was talking about solid plastic line.

Most any oil should work, thicker is better, but it could be messy. I've never had to try it. It would only smoke for about 5 seconds.

Back