Ms201tc hekp

mistahbenn

Treehouser
Hey guys, I fueled up my saw on weds after it was running great and all of a sudden it ran like shit, chain spin on idle, sounds like it’s being choked by Arnold. Trying to start it, the chain spins, and it will start eventually. It ran better today but it must be something g clogged up?

The video is unavailable, at least change it to unlisted instead of private so we can see it. Or maybe there's a different problem

I'd think if the chain spins while starting, the clutch could have come loose and is pressed against the clutch bell. If it spins only because of a fast idle, the low speed is likely lean, so the carb needs tuning or isn't tuning itself, there's junk in the carb, dirty fuel filter, clogged tank vent...

...the wrong fuel oil ratio may have been mixed (too much oil)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vGcAetoDlmo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't get how the clutch/ springs would be letting it start, then stall. All ears, well, big ears at least.

I'm Guessing something plugged up.

Its 630a, with one cup of coffee in me...for half a second the typo made me think it was a new, super-feature 201. Seems like Stihl is trying to give saws pedigrees with the naming.
193t-c.
201-th-e-k-p.

Pull the cord gently with chain brake off, if the chain is turning before it fires then the clutch is engaged somehow, it only spins on idle maybe springs are weak...go from there.

Clutch replacement isn't that hard to do...trickiest thing is stopping the piston in order to get purchase to wrench it off.

Thanks, Bermy! Do you have any tricks up your sleeve to stop the movement of the piston? I'm green as grass with regard to chainsaw repair, so your patience with me is appreciated. I just try to learn in bits and pieces as I go along. Thanks in advance for any comments you care to add.

Tim

Rope shoved in the spark plug hole is one way... wrenching on stuff, like everything else in life, is a cumulative memorization of tricks :lol:

I think I've heard cotton rope in the spark plug hole, lots, enough to fill the cylinder, so I guess that depends on the size of the saw. With the cylinder full of easily extracted rope, you righty-loosey it (reverse thread) the clutch off. A youtube video surely exists.

Back