Another Tip - Solitary Leveling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
By George the little crawler might get-er-done .I looked up the Nebraska test and on this,the gasoline version with 12" tracks ,it has the ratio was about 97 percent of machine weight .At 9600 pounds that would be around 9300 pounds .
Another thing I found interesting is the diesel version of this model had a pull that exceeded machine weight which is highly unusual .The usual ratio of a crawler is 90 percent .

I am sure your dozer is up to the task. I have moved some huge chunks of willow with my mini but then again I wasn't trying to be gentile with it.

Well we got-er-done .Good thing I had the dozer. Rained all day it was a muddy mess .I've got to square it up and level it but that's not a big deal .About 4 gallons of Rustoleum and it will look brand new --after it stops raining .

The precipitation in the lake states will average itself out every two or three years .We've had mild winters the last several years and very little snow .It just decided to make it all up in one fell swoop this spring .

Push with a dozer like yours, Al...those are great numbers. But pull with it, after adding in a few blocks and several hundred feet of 1/2 inch cable...that old beast would shift the moon. That shipping container wouldn't stand a chance in hell of sitting still :). I'd bet you could move more than twice the weight of that dozer without breaking a sweat, done that way.

But glad to read you goterdun, brother. Kuddos, as always.

If push came to shove so to speak I would have set up a couple snatch blocks and used a 1" nylon rope .You have enough blocks you could tow a battle ship with a garden tractor .Of course it would take a mile of pull to move it an inch .It's just simple physics .

BTW I broke a 4 ton farmer jack leveling that damned thing .It was guaranteed for 90 days and I didn't use it 90 minutes .Cheap Chinese junk cast iron .I had to use a big sturdy pry bar and down pressure with the dozer blade over a railroad tie fulcrum to recover that POS so could take it back to get my refund .

I'll weld up an adapter and use a 20 ton hydraulic jack if it ever needs releveled .

I might add if anybody decides to get one they have to be level .Side to side not end to end .The doors fit so tight on these sea going boxes if they are out of alignment you cannot operate the doors .

It was off about 1/4" side to side .I wedged it up using two steel splitting wedges and a 8 pound beater between the cribbing and the container frame .It's dead on now ,both ends ,side to side

It's a tilt front to back by around 4-5" .I'll get that later after I get her stuff down here when I find the time

Here it is ,done except a coat of Rust-Oleum hunter green paint .

Attachments

• DSCN0544[1].jpg
    DSCN0544[1].jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 14
Now the damage .It rained like a cow pissen on a flat rock for several days before this thing arrived .Bad combination .6-8 inches of woods top soil which gets like grease over blue or yellow clay which is almost impervious to water penetration .After it dries out I'll roll it flat and dump another 20 tons of stone on it .It was a low spot any way

Attachments

• DSCN0545[1].jpg
    DSCN0545[1].jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 14
Well done, Al. That's a big one. Most folks around here that get them for storage opt for a shorter model, near as I can tell only about half that length.

Many people don't have the room for a 40 footer .A 20 will cost within 200 dollars of what they get for a 40 .That one cost me $2324 .delivery included ,no tax . This one is certified "cargo ready " and cost me another 100 bucks .WTH a 100 ,no big deal .

My BIL, who is a really talented hand worked post and beam home builder on the Big Island, HI, built a truly incredible "barn" for a wealthy client (hell, all his clients are wealthy, otherwise they could no way afford to hire him :)). This was just a "little" follow on project from the +2 million $ house he had finished there for said client :). 2 million $ back about 20 years ago, in fact. Inflation might have it worth a bit more today :).

It consisted of two shipping units like yours, 40 footers, set on a 60'x60' concrete pad. The shipping units were set at the outside edges of the pad, back ends to the rear. A series of beautifully hand made trusses were set over the tops of them, and out the 20 additional feet to the front of the pad. Metal roofed, rough sawn board and batten siding inside and out. The idea of the shipping containers was to provide really secure storage...as this property belonged to one of those peeps who are at one of their several other homes around the globe a lot :).

It was a stinkin' magnificent building, I kid you not. Even had a little side nook wet bar with high stools and ceiling fans...a view down to the ocean 10 miles away or so...I totally had barn envy, right there :D.

People can get real creative with them for sure .There must be a millions of them sitting in yards through out the world .If it wasn't for "cash for clunkers " they would have ran out of steel to make them by now.Imagine that,a bumper for a 1961 Chevy is now a shipping container .